Hi

Mark72

Hello all

My name is Mark and im 37 years old with a partner and 2 young daughters. Im currently tagged as a type 2 using metformin and insulin by my gp and a type 1 by my consultant. I'm currently fighting the discrimination against diabetics using Insulin within public sector jobs being blanket banned here in the UK.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Mark.

Welcome to the Forum. Have a good look around and ask questions when you are ready.

I seem to recall there is a couple of other members with an interest in the matter of Insulin and certain jobs being banned. There was also I think a petition listed on the No10 website. Have a search here and on the No10 site. The post here may well be in the Employment section.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mark
welcome
what job do you do that bans insulin users?
My T1 huband is a civil servant and has no problems. In fact the civil service employs a considerable number of people with health issues or disabilities. Ialso know insulin using teachers.

Puddinface

Re: Hello community

Hi

I'm John, 52 yrs old type 2 for 6years. Not new to diabetes but new to taking it seriously. my consultant told mewhen I was diagnosed "Look at everything you eat and if sugar is in the top three ingredients, dont eat it" Well that advice served well up until this year. Now I need to take a fresh look at what I eat as my Hb1c (whatever its called) was 9.3mm/ol. (It was thirteen when I was diagnosed)

Thinking of going "Low carb" any thoughts?

ChocFish

Hello Puddinface

To give you a quick answer and for once not babble on too much, I would say most definitely do try to go lower carb, how low you need to go depends on how your body is processing those carbs, you find out by testing before you eat and 2 hours later, keep a food diary of all that you eat and you soon know which food to cut down on or avoid altogether.
To help you along with this do get hold of the Collins Gem Carb Counter book its small but ever so handy to take with you on shopping trips and also Dr Charles Clark The Diabetes Revolution, this is an easy to read book, I read mine in a day it also gives recipes and meal ideas.

Any questions to ask, dont hesitate :)

All the best

karen

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Puddinface....

Lo-Carb is a no brainer for me, excited about my 3 month review on 13th August as I believe that I just might have regained control by then.

My view is that when you are diagnosed with a high HBA1C (mine was 10.3), its a bit like being on a plane that's losing cabin pressure. The pilot goes into an emergency dive to regain control. Well that's what I think it is like for us. My immediate goal was to get my Blood Sugars down to "safe" levels and fast!!!.

From what I have gathered, there are two phases for the newly diagnosed T2.
1. Regain Control
2. What Dr Charles Clark calls the maintenance phase.

Part 1 is difficult and needs lots of discipline and applied thought. It makes life and diabetes seem daunting.....
However the light at the end of the tunnel is regaining control and entering the maintenance phase, where you find out how much "normality" you can take on without affecting your control. (You cant lose weight forever!!)

For me, the key is, lo-carb and measuring Blood Glucose frequently. I have no experience of the maintenance phase, so that will become my next learning experience but only after :-

HBA1C is 5.9 or less (From 10.3)
Trigs are 1 or less (From 7.7!!)
Cholesterol is 4 or less (With an acceptable ratio of HDL/LDL)
Weight is 13 stone or less (From 17 st 5)
All complications and associated symptoms are zero
Exercising daily as part of an enjoyable lifestyle and not as drudgery!.

PS - I honestly believe a "healthy" diet of high carbs (lots of cereal, wholemeal bread, fruit, jacket potatoes,pasta and rice) caused my diabetes.

All the best with your endeavours.....Steve.

triken

Hi, I am triken from india, &I'm new to this site. I am a new comer & have
just put forward my first step in the vast & fast world of Internet & Web.

inwales

Bluenosesol said:
My view is that when you are diagnosed with a high HBA1C (mine was 10.3), its a bit like being on a plane that's losing cabin pressure. The pilot goes into an emergency dive to regain control. Well that's what I think it is like for us

Thats a good analogy!

Pity most newly diagnosed are not advised to try low carb to reduce high AiCs...

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
triken said:
Hi, I am triken from india, &I'm new to this site. I am a new comer & have
just put forward my first step in the vast & fast world of Internet & Web.
Hi Triken, why dont you introduce yourself on this section as a newbie (Raise new topic), tell us a bit about yourself and see how we can help you...

Good to hear from you....

Steve...

Puddinface

Hi Steve

Thanks for the advice. The low carb thing is working and my weight is reducing as is my BG test results. I am getting a regular 5-5.7 early morning reading with most day time checks coming in at 5-5.8. So something is definitely working.

I have been type two for four years but had always taken "the healthy diet" approach with the odd treat flung in here and there (more here than there to be honest), and the results just kept climbing so I was convinced that this was a disease progression, however this last few weeks have shown it was more about life style than disease. I am on metformin 850mgs three times a day with a little dusting of glycazide to help level it all out and I think that has lowered my insulin resistance. I now need to fit more exercise into the day, I dont have a lot of time for gym work so walking, gardening and what I do for work is my only source of exercise, but I'm working on it.

Thanks again Steve

John