High BGs + Nap

Tyronnster

Just wondering if there is a link between having an afternoon nap an high BG readings. Few times I've had my lunch an gone for a snooze but when testing before evening meal the bgs are mega high.

Might just be coincidence but curious.

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I found that pre-diagnosis, I was falling asleep all the time due to high BG.

I suspect that it is the lunch that is causing the problem, not the nap.

Reactions: 6 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Tyrronster, what did you have for lunch and possibly even for breakfast? Were your after lunch, post prandial readings high, or likely to be high (if you had not slept through the 2 hours after eating point).
James spent most afternoons asleep before diagnosis, woke up for dinner, fell asleep in front of the telly and then woke up to go to bed!
Sally.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever I have fallen asleep after food I think it has also involved reactive hypoglycaemia as well as high blood glucose.

If you still have the capacity to produce reasonable amounts of insulin AND you eat enough carbs to send your blood glucose high enough, sometimes your body produces too much insulin for the amount of glucose. It is a sort of panicked over reaction by your pancreas. This makes your blood sugar drop sharply, going too low, and ending up with hypoglycaemia.

I used to snooze off on a glow of replete high blood glucose. During my nap, my blood glucose would drop sharply, until I woke up feeling utterly dreadful. Dark, sluggish, depression, headaches, lethargy and apathy. It took a long time to wake up and I felt dopy and sluggish for a long time afterwards.

The answer was to avoid the sharp rise in blood glucose (not eating the carbs), which would trigger the whole miserable cycle.

Reactions: 2 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often say that that the thing I miss the most since diagnosis is my afternoon nap! I used to love a snooze after my lunch but, just like you, my sugars are guaranteed to go high. I know it's the nap because it happens every time I have one but my levels are fine if I don't have one :(

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I found that pre-diagnosis, I was falling asleep all the time due to high BG.

I suspect that it is the lunch that is causing the problem, not the nap.

This was also my experience. It's very likely the lunch. What did you eat?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm having a similar issue. My bloods are between 4-7 throughout the day then when I go to bed at night I awake to 10s in the morning! Don't understand it. I eat salads or omelette with asparagus twice a day nothing else!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's probably due to a high carb lunch - I used to (pre diabetes, and starting on a low carb diet) take long afternoon naps. I couldn't help myself, it was almost as if someone had drugged my food and it would knock me right out! Since being on my low carb regime, I very rarely snooze in the afternoon now and when I do I'm usually genuinely tired.

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm having a similar issue. My bloods are between 4-7 throughout the day then when I go to bed at night I awake to 10s in the morning! Don't understand it. I eat salads or omelette with asparagus twice a day nothing else!

You are going to make yourself sick eating that little
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

It's insulin resistance, dawn phenomena. Liver dump.
Metfomin will bring it down till the diet can work

Last edited by a moderator: