High Blodd Analysis Results

Susan Varani

Hello

Next week I will be going to a Diabetic Centre to carry out tests to see if I am actually diabetic - could be Type 1. My twin brother is type 1 (I'm the twin sister) and for him it turned up late in life, about 3 yrs ago. We are 59 yrs old. These are the results I received today from blood analysis (roughly the same for the last two years) so my GP here in Italy told me to go and have a check in a proper Diabetic centre:

In Italian:

GLICEMIA - 113
COLESTEROLO TOTALE - 305
COLESTEROLO HDL - 71
COLESTEROLO LDL - 195
GAMMA GT - 43

I have a good diet, eat hardly any bread or cakes, eat pasta about three times a week and yet I have these high results? I like a glass or two of white wine with my dinner but apart from this eat well. So I can only assume it is in my DNA! Admitedly I have little exercise (my work involves a lot of time on the PC), can you give me some advice>

Thank you

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Susan,(Susan's rule BTW!)welcome to the forum.
I've converted your results to mmol/L which is what is used in UK.If I've done it right they are:

Blood Glucose or maybeHba1c 6.2
Total cholesterol 7.8
HDL 1.8
LDL 5.04
?? 1.11 (could be trig)

Your blood glucose is OK at 6.2 whether that is just blood glucose or Hba1c.
Your cholesterol levels however are quite high.Here they like the total to be under 5 (193.35)Your 'good'cholesterol is low (HDL) and your 'bad' choesterol is high (LDL)

I will leave it to the more experienced to comment as well.

Katharine

Hi,

The hbaic is a bit high at 6.2%. If you have a hbaic of 5.8% or over you would be best to have a full glucose tolerance test done to see what is going on. This involves fasting overnight, a blood sample, drinking a sugary drink and getting retested 2 hours later.