High blood reading but feeling hypo

norfolkadam

Hello!

Bit of background: Type 2, Metformin controlled (2x500mg, 3d), age 21, diagnosed 3 years ago.

Today I am baffled by my blood glucose reading. I had salad, soup and a bread roll for lunch about 1pm, I worked at my desk all afternoon drinking tea and then went for a walk after work in a very hilly bit of Bristol. Since lunch I haven't eaten anything and I don't have sugar with my tea. I start feeling shaky and weak and assume I'm having a hypo but my blood reading says 8.8mmol.

I've been working on getting my readings down recently from an average after-meal reading of 11-13 so I understand I probably have a bad 'diabetic memory' but I can't understand why I feel hypoglycemic and whether I should do anything about this.

Help please. :|

markfpurdue

Dislikes
The work 'Diet'
There's your problem. You operate on a generally high reading so when your sugars drop your body thinks it is having a hypo even though the reading is still high. I've struggled with this for a few years too. When my readings are high I drink two glasses of water one after the other, wait 5 minutes then have another. By that time I need the bathroom. Wait 20 minutes and do a reading.
You might find replacing your tea & coffee with glasses of water will help. Make sure you have a simple snack handy for mid morning & afternoon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App