1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High blood reading but feeling hypo

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by norfolkadam, Apr 18, 2013.

1. norfolkadam

norfolkadam · Member

Hello!

Bit of background: Type 2, Metformin controlled (2x500mg, 3d), age 21, diagnosed 3 years ago.

Today I am baffled by my blood glucose reading. I had salad, soup and a bread roll for lunch about 1pm, I worked at my desk all afternoon drinking tea and then went for a walk after work in a very hilly bit of Bristol. Since lunch I haven't eaten anything and I don't have sugar with my tea. I start feeling shaky and weak and assume I'm having a hypo but my blood reading says 8.8mmol.

I've been working on getting my readings down recently from an average after-meal reading of 11-13 so I understand I probably have a bad 'diabetic memory' but I can't understand why I feel hypoglycemic and whether I should do anything about this.

Help please. :|

2. markfpurdue

markfpurdue · Member

There's your problem. You operate on a generally high reading so when your sugars drop your body thinks it is having a hypo even though the reading is still high. I've struggled with this for a few years too. When my readings are high I drink two glasses of water one after the other, wait 5 minutes then have another. By that time I need the bathroom. Wait 20 minutes and do a reading.
    You might find replacing your tea & coffee with glasses of water will help. Make sure you have a simple snack handy for mid morning & afternoon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook