high blood sugar levels question

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi this is my first time here. I would like some opinions as what I should do next if anything.
ive been t2 for 5 years controlled reasonably well with metformin 5oo once a day. blood sugar usually no higher than 10 .in jan this year I had pancreatitis spent 5 days in hosp and recovered had a follow up apt with consultant who looked at scan & other test results-he was happy that this was a one off episode and there was nothing else showing .the pancreas looked totally normal to him. since then my blood sugar levels have risen steadily to between 15-20 my gp increased the metformin to 850 -3 times a day.
this was approx. 8weeks ago but the blood sugar level is still 15-20. so do you think I should bother my gp again or just carry on at this level? look forward to some replies!!

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think you should see your GP. Levels rising and not responding to medication need dealing with, plus you will start to feel unwell (if you don't already) please get some professional help. Good luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do see the GP again as figures in the teens need attention. I suspect you may need additional diabetes tablets as Metformin doesn't make that much difference to blood sugar levels; your prescription for these could also be increased. Are you overweight? If so then try to reduce weight by reducing carb intake. This in turn will help reduce blood sugar.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Right thanks.no I'm not overweight I'm 6ft tall
weigh 90kilo

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Go and see your GP without delay as this is not right and you need it sorting as soon as possible

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone just phoned got appt Friday
.blood level this morning was 14.2, last night
Was 15.3

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
James try to reduce your intake of anything with 'ose on the end - basically carbs in any form particularly bread and any form of raw sugar.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah will do. I have cut down a lot with bread
and luckily I do not like sweet sugary things like
cakes n chocolate .i do take sugar in my tea n
Coffee but only because I get a lot of headaches
if I don't ! Thanks for your advice Neil

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
That will not be helping - could you go for a sweetener? I do not take them myself so cannot advise a good one.

Fluctuating sugar levels can be linked to headaches so it is possible that the sugar free drink results in a lower blood glucose level but I think it is unlikely to be acting that quickly.

Could you change to water for 48 hours so as to eliminate that as the cause? There is very likely a link between your blood glucose level and something you are eating or drinking, or both.