High blood sugars and dental problems

MichaelUK

Hi

Quick question, i am waiting on a dental appointment for a loose tooth and i have noticed i have had some crazy bloodglucose readings and was wondering if the dental problem is at the root of this or al least not helping i may have to try for an emergency appointment if you guys say it could be causing a problem, i went to book in june and my appotinment is 25 September at this rate the tooth will just fall out :(.

Any advice?

MIchael

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one has replied but that may be because no-one knows of a connection between a tooth and diabetes. I certainly don't know of one.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Denwal problems CAN lead to erratic BG control. So my dentist says
Hana

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm a dental nurse ,your blood may rise if you have a infection if your tootl is loose/mobile then if its got this way through a perio problem/gum disease this could defiantly be why your bloods are like they are,ring back up tell them the tooth is causing health problems and you need a urgent problem they should accommodate you the same day,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Any inflammation, infection, abcess , antibiotics , dental treatments can
certainly cause a spike and raise the blood sugars .

Your loose tooth may well be with some gum inflammation possibly?
If so - this can contribute to elevated blood sugars .
Best to vist your dentist and let them look at the situation .

It ALWAYS spikes with mine . . . :thumbdown:
I find it can take a few days for all to settle down after any treatment .

Leaves me feeling rough for a few days till things calm/settle back down .
Am always told to titrate my insulin up a couple of units to compensate .
Am not fond of dental thingys as it is - this can make me feel 'worse' and stressed as it is .
Plus she always natters away at me with all her tools n gadgets in my mouth :crazy:
A real catch22 situation for 'me' - but this is just me :roll:

I try talking with my hands mumbling n waving my hands towards my mouth .
She just natters on regardlessly !

I only go - when I have to now :thumbup:

Anna .

MichaelUK

Shell1 said:
Hi I'm a dental nurse ,your blood may rise if you have a infection if your tootl is loose/mobile then if its got this way through a perio problem/gum disease this could defiantly be why your bloods are like they are,ring back up tell them the tooth is causing health problems and you need a urgent problem they should accommodate you the same day,

Thanks for the advice will try get in this week, just got to check with work as they are very funny at short notice for things like this.

SHEL8866

Since being diagnosed in March I have found that my teeth are becoming loose. My dentist said that high BG affects the gums. Unfortunately I am going to have the offending teeth out and also expect to lose some more.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
If your sugars are high ,fluoride toothpaste and mouth wash should help your gums will only be effected if plaque is allowed to sit on the gum line to long

renee

Iv'e just lost a filling on the front of my eye tooth. My Dentist said she only wants to see me once a year. Because I am 86yrs old. And Iv'e Spent a fortune keeping my teeth in good condition over the years. Also I have the most annoying bit of lose skin where a top tooth was removed. She will not remove it as I am Diabetic. It could turn nasty. I give up on her now. I did not retire till I was 67yrs old. :***:

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
She's prob said yearly as you have good dental hygiene low risk of caries and good gum health that's normally the reasons we out patients on a 12 month recall?we also take teeth out on a day to day basis with diabetics so not sure why she has refused to remove skin.are you on any medication that could put her off doing this some tablets stop healing and can be very dangerous and hard to fix .hope this helps

hameednejat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dental decay has been linked to causing diabetes so having extensive decay may make them suspect diabetes.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think gum disease and just general dental problems can be worsened by high blood sugars.....

high blood sugars make it harder for your body to repair its self.......

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I can see how diabetes and it's tendency to cause microvascular issues could affect dental health. If you talk to your dentist about it they should be able to go more indepth. End Sept is way too long to wait, I'd try explaining the impact it' shaving on your overall health as, when I've had urgent issues, I've never had to wait more than a day.