High Blood Sugars .. how does it affect you ??

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi all,

When my blood sugars are higher than nornal I feel like a zombie........ not quite with it, how do you feel with high blood sugars ?? :shock: :shock:

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When mine go high the pins and needles in the feet get a lot more noticeable and just generally feel off colour.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a strange achey feeling in my head and eyes/bridge of nose, I've no idea how common that is though. I also feel tired and generally moody/grumpy. I feel symptoms when I am above 11mmol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get headache, blurry vission, sometimes sleepy and thirsty. Its a weired feeling but still nicer than hypo!

meJulie

Hi

Totally random, but I have posted a few questions on here in last few days, but no reply, am I doing something wrong or does no one like me lol :problem:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't get any symptoms of high blood sugars, only when they are low.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get grumpy - more grumpy than usual, and very thirsty, tired & lethargic and a general feeling of blergh.

EDIT to say I also have trouble sleeping when I have high blood sugars - even though I get really tired, I am rarely able to a good solid night sleep.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I feel awful when my sugars are high i start feeling tired, headache,nausea, thirsty and also going to the loo alot more, similar symptons you get before being diagnosed with diabetes.

tracey7167

lshadley

Greetings from the US. I wanted to comment on the 'how does it affect you?' post. If I am running really low, say below 70 mg/dL, the world turns red. This usually happens at night when I wake up and feel that awful 'low' sensation. I'll look at the clock which normally has a green LED display and it is red. Open the fridge door to grab food and it looks like a 'running red' condition from my old Navy days on board ship. I'll grab glucose tablets, bread or crackers and honey, then add a bit of cheese and an hour later I'm starting to feel more normal and go back to bed. I'm sure that I shoot way high after that but asleep at that point.

Yes - I'm considering using one of the new Continuous Glucose Monitoring systems that can alarm and wake me up when glucose is on the way down. However, my last HbA1c was 8.2. Very bad. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago as Type 2, insulin resistant, tried all the oral meds which seemed to work for 6 months to a year, and finally went on insulin because it was easier and gave better control without side effects. I'm male, 67 yo, 69" and 175# usually very active. I had a MI last August and have a couple of stents which seems to have really helped my overall health.

I'm starting an intense monitoring program with testing before and after each meal along with morning fasting and before bed checks. I was horrified last night when my BG was 344. I did eat a large meal of spaghetti and took 8 units of Novolog to counter it but obviously that didn't work. Fasting number this morning was 94. I'm experimenting with carb counting and starting a ratio of 1 unit of Novolog to 10 grams of carbs (and carrying lots of glucose tablets). We'll see how that works. There is an interesting carb to insulin ratio table that you can customize at www(dot)thinslice(dot)com(slash)mdtc(dot)htm and I'll carry that with me for awhile.

I'll keep you good folks posted on the result. :wave:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unquenchable thirst. Like you could split a cactus for a fix.
:sad:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app