high bloods after changing site

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
Does anyone else find their control goes off the scale as soon as they change their pump site? I generally change D-Link 2-3 days, from different leg sites or different ab sites. It used to be fine, but during the last year it's driving me crazy when my blood sugar spikes out of control for hours. I try changing the set all over again, then the site, check for bubbles but even my consultant hasn't a clue why this happens. It's got so I daren't go away from the house until it settles down. At the moment I'm drinking herb tea, temp basal of 180%, corrected bolus 30......... any ideas please?!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the opposite problem. I go hypo after changing sets so I always use a temporary basal of 50% for 2 hours after the change.

Do you use the 180% temporary basal as soon as you change your set?

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried leaving the old cannula in place for a few hours after changing to a new one so that the insulin from that site gets absorb properly?

Reactions: 2 people

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
Thanks for replying to my thread, the high temp basal is only a last resort if nothing else works. Yes I always keep the old set in place for hours before I remove it. (I By the way, I have a Roche aviva combo pump, and use D-links which I insert manually). This time I drew up a new cartridge, new tubing etc which thankfully has seemed to help. Saves me finding another site!