high carb fantasies

Spiral

Since I began to clean up my act diet-wise in February, pending my not unexpected T2 diagnosis, my high carb food cravings and hunger have reduced. But I'm a comfort eater, especially as a response to high levels of stress. The last few weeks have been very stressful and I have had 2 pretty bad days yesterday and today, and I have fallen very hard from the healthy diabetic diet wagon on numerous occasions over the last few weeks :oops:

Yesterday involved almost a whole bar of G&B Maya Gold that I had hidden in the car as emergency rations on a long journey in poor weather (pre-diagnosis) and way too much German rye bread with vegetraian pate. Today involved working late and not having anything to eat after work before going out, so I ate high carb junk when I got to my social event this evening. I have decided that climbing right back on the wagon is probably the best way to go and that testing my blood sugar after meals will probably help my willpower no end, so I'm about to invest in a meter.

On the plus side, I have eaten well during the days - loads of fresh raw veggies and pulses - and I was assured by a colleague earlier today that the weight is still falling off me, even though the stress which has led to comfort eating over the last couple of weeks has not let up, so I'm trying to be kind to myself. I'm trying not to give myself a hard time as I'm generally heading in the right direction.

And my comfort eating has changed, I have changed what I comfort eat to lower GI/carb carbs, but carbs nonetheless :roll: Nairns stem ginger oatcakes, or just plain oatcakes if i don't have the stem ginger ones... This is such hard work.

But I just can't help it... I'm fantasising about hot, evenly toasted golden brown white toast (a nice thick sliced farmhouse loaf) dripping with butter and Marmite, even tho I never really ate much white bread. The other fantasy food option :oops: is in the same category as Pot Noodle :oops: (and I feel the need to tell you, complete strangers, I don't actually like Pot Noodle) - Smash instant mashed potato... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have not touched these items since February and I'm probably not going to (not having them in the house helps with this resolution), but that does not stop me thinking about them.

What does it for you and how do you cope? Care to share? The more taboo the fantasy food item the better :twisted: :D

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Krispy Kreme donuts for me!

They've recently brought out a Strawberrie's and Cream one too... OMG!!!

Sometimes a take a cheaky walk through the Krispy Kreme shop just for the smell. :mrgreen: :oops:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Stu, I never realised you were a masochist. :lol:

chocoholic

I don't touch white bread at all but when my mum came here the other day, she wanted something lifting out of the boot of her car. When I opened the boot door, out wafted the smell of a freshly baked Morrisons Tiger loaf. OMG.How good did that smell?
I must admit when I walk past a bakers now, I try to avert my eyes. I find it very hard to see a whole window full of things like Danish pastries, Bath buns etc. and not be able to indulge. Then I catch sight of my reflection and see a slim me and the hankering for naughties soon goes.

sandymaynard

For me it would be a nice pizza, one with all the topping's on! Oh and fresh baked bread the smell alone says eat me!
I never do! But i so much want to be able to give in and say oh yes just a little bit of bread will do no harm!
i know that is not true, it will hurt!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I could murder a pile of buttered toast. Crisp outside and soggy dripping butter in the middle, but it's been 2 years

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
anything mint, mint aeros especially and id love a huge piece of cheesecake mmmmmmmm and......anything i cant have

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
anything mint, mint aeros
Totsy, they're obviously not really chocolate, I have found that they work fast for mild hypos. and are far nicer than dextrose.
Half a small bar will raise my BG by about 1.6mmol, I had one some last night when I went to bed at 3.8mmol, and woke up at 5.2mmol (my background overnight is fairly stable but I'm wary of going to bed below 4.5mmol)
PS I don't think I'd risk using it at lower than 3mmol.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
totsy said:
anything mint, mint sauce with lamb is low carb

mint aeros especially the bubbles are zero carb

and id love a huge piece of cheesecake mmmmmmmm just eat the cheesy top, & use berries for the topping and......anything i cant have

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
perhaps not a fantasie as such, :?
choc eclairs , i have had a few , just recently, when on hols, about 3 , and then a treat after app at hospital , kid my self , they are full of fat and cream, omg :roll:

caitycakes1

Big fat greasy chips from the chip shop, smothered in brown chippie sauce and white as snow with salt. Also a giant bar of cadbury's dairy milk (I hate dark chocolate). Large crispy baguette smothered in butter and coronation chicken. I could go on .......

How's that for a fantasy eh? :lol:

caitycakes x

Reactions: lorraine95

Trinkwasser

Whenever I weaken it makes me feel like ****. That keeps me in line.

For you mintoholics, try this:

large teaspoon cocoa powder (NOT drinking chocolate)

stir into a paste with some milk (and Splenda or other sweetener)

add a few drops of peppermint oil

fill cup with hot water and top off with another dash of milk

imbibe

liquid After Eights!

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ooooooh Trink, cant wait to try this i so, do miss my boxes of after eights :D

i suppose/hope, you can use cream instead of milk , gonna try it anyway :lol:

Trinkwasser

jeenie said:
ooooooh Trink, cant wait to try this i so, do miss my boxes of after eights :D

i suppose/hope, you can use cream instead of milk , gonna try it anyway :lol:

One of the only things I continued from my low fat diet is a preference for skim milk but I see no reason why cream wouldn't work.

I should have mentioned, beware of the strength of the peppermint oil. The cheapo supermarket stuff you can get away with half a bottle but the Real Thing can be a tad strong, one drop too many and it will clean out your sinuses.

Spiral

I'm having a fasting blood test in the morning (my secong HBA1c) and currently fantasising about hot chocolate and toast... or Walkers salted crisps.

Since I redued my carb intake I have noticed my carb cravings are hugely reduced.

I'd been relatively good, so saw no reason my son and i should not have something from the chippy earlier this week, especially as time was a bit tight. I noticed a huge differnece in how I felt for a good 24 hours afterwards... It is only today that I feel back to "normal", whatever that is these days.

wootters

So good to read your post about stress and comfort eating - it's probably why I'm here in the first place although an underactive thyroid has to take some of the blame for my weight gain. Reading some of the posts makes me feel totally inadequate! Am seriously considering asking my Dr. for some appetite suppresants, has anyone else tried this route please?

Spiral

Reducing my carbs reduced my cravings for high carb foods. I have come to realise that my current cravings are stress related.

inwales

wootters said:
So good to read your post about stress and comfort eating - it's probably why I'm here in the first place although an underactive thyroid has to take some of the blame for my weight gain. Reading some of the posts makes me feel totally inadequate! Am seriously considering asking my Dr. for some appetite suppresants, has anyone else tried this route please?

Try some meditation