High Carb Low Readings ??

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been holding out on posting this as i wanted to see if it repeated .....and it has:)

After having a hard time earlier this year I have knuckled down diet and exercise wise and now have good control of my bloods, still a ways to go but my readings are usually in the 6.0 to 7.0 range...........

All good :) mostly down to losing a stone or so by doing LCHF, been pretty strict with usually between 20-40g of carbs a day.............

So on saturday evening I allow myself a treat with some carbs ,usually some roast spuds , tonite had roast pork spuds stuffing apple sauce etc.....

But here's the thing both the last 2 saturdays when I tested 2 hours after my bloods were 5.5 , tonite 5.0 :wideyed: , they are very rarely that low normally ...

So I am guessing there is a logical scientific explanation for this ???

Just sorta related .......I was advised to have a few carbs before a workout to lower my bloods afterwards (as they were spiking a bit) ,,, weird but it did work:) so wondering if the same sorta process is at work.........

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
when you low carb you get what is known as physiological insulin resistance. This causes your muscles to resist the glucose so it is available for other body processes. However, when you low carb you stay at a fairly flat slightly raised level. When you high carb you go high but then your muscles suck it up and you go lower giving you peak and troughs.

Reactions: 4 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi mfactor,
You may have a fast digestion for high G.I. carbs. I peak at +1hr from starting eating carbs. I can be in double figures at 1hr and below 4.0 if I exercise and down to low 4s if I don't at +2hours.
Do check at +1 hr after eating and hopefully you will be OK and not have an overproduction of late insulin.
See reactive hypoglycaemia section.
regards
Derek
I have been holding out on posting this as i wanted to see if it repeated .....and it has:)

After having a hard time earlier this year I have knuckled down diet and exercise wise and now have good control of my bloods, still a ways to go but my readings are usually in the 6.0 to 7.0 range...........

All good :) mostly down to losing a stone or so by doing LCHF, been pretty strict with usually between 20-40g of carbs a day.............

So on saturday evening I allow myself a treat with some carbs ,usually some roast spuds , tonite had roast pork spuds stuffing apple sauce etc.....

But here's the thing both the last 2 saturdays when I tested 2 hours after my bloods were 5.5 , tonite 5.0 :wideyed: , they are very rarely that low normally ...

So I am guessing there is a logical scientific explanation for this ???

Just sorta related .......I was advised to have a few carbs before a workout to lower my bloods afterwards (as they were spiking a bit) ,,, weird but it did work:) so wondering if the same sorta process is at work.........[/Quote

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when you low carb you get what is known as physiological insulin resistance. This causes your muscles to resist the glucose so it is available for other body processes. However, when you low carb you stay at a fairly flat slightly raised level. When you high carb you go high but then your muscles suck it up and you go lower giving you peak and troughs.

Cheers ,, thought there would be a logical reason...:)

Reactions: 2 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Cheers ,, thought there would be a logical reason...:)
Hi, I have been low carving strictly for 4 months now and never cheat, but last night I had some carrots and 4 pieces of scampi, but was drinking wine, I tested 2hrs later 5.4 was made up, but always lower when iv gad a drink probably the best time to have a little cheat!

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi , my fun Saturdays used to be fryup ,beer, footy/rugby , more beer, dvds , wine ,chinese/Indian etc etc........

Now its a Potato lol :banghead: :( :) and a small one at that :D

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think what you're seeing are possible signs that the effects of your diabetes are being reversed. That's wonderful and it's something I don't see enough discussion about here on this forum.

I think there is no doubt that a LCHF diet is generally effective at combatting high blood sugar. However, I've always had concerns around whether or not it is effective at combatting diabetes (yes, there is a difference). Essentially, does a LCHF diet truly reverse the effects of diabetes, or does it simply avoid the triggers (carbs) of diabetes?

I've always had reserves that avoiding carbs altogether is similar to breaking your leg and deciding never to run again. I question if it's actually treating the condition. It seems what you're doing is similar to physical therapy: attempting to treat your condition by slowly reintroducing the triggers that caused it.

I hope that makes sense and your experiences are evidence that disprove my theories (in this case, I hope I'm wrong). Either way its wonderful news to read and I'm very happy for you.

Reactions: 3 people