high carbs then hypo

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I am getting in control of my BS - 7.4 this morning and 5.3 yesterday morning. Had quite a few extra carbs with breakfast cereal and crisps and dips later. I had an unpleasant hypo (3.2) which was the first in years.

I've been taking apple cider vinegar for a couple of months with mixed results. Any ideas please?

Russ

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Russ, can you elaborate on how you are coping? Do youngest often? Are you on lower carbs? What's your normal reading after two hours etc. meds?

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
1000mg metformin twice a day and 40mg gliclazide in morning. Do my best to have higher protein and lower carbs diet. Supplement with apple cider vinegar and/or tablets plus (don't laugh) pickled red cabbage before bedtime (and cleaning teeth). Reading after 2 hours is around 8 or 9 in morning. Just got 11.8 about an hour and half of highish carb dinner (from pasta) which I had to push my bs back up again.
This hypo came absolutely out of the blue.

Russ

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Everyone is different. With different tastes, nothing surprises me. It does seem to be a rogue reading. Keep an eye on the next couple of two hour readings especially if you have carbs, which you seem to mention a lot.
Try and get it back under control.
The meds are to bring your BSLs down. Sometimes they can give you a hypo.
Let us know how you are doing!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A carb controled diet and exercise is the normal way for t2, have you considered this?
As you know gliclazide can cause hypo,

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Yes, I do try to keep the carbs low, but do indulge from time to time, so trying to lower my hba1c. I feel confident that I have improved on my previous 60 (7.6) and 74 (9) before that. I used to have it down to about 6. I used to suffer from hypos in my early days from Gliclazide, which I stopped when I went on to Metformin, but haven't had any problems since Gliclazide was reintroduced about a year ago. My weight stays stable at 12.5 stone for a 6 footer. All very weird. My BS was 7.3 this morning with 11.4 two hours afterwards. This is pretty much how it used to be 3 or 4 years ago. It'll settle in a while. Had a rough time for a few years caring for my wife who died a year ago, but back on track now and slowly lowering my anti-depressants.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well 60 is heading the right way and isn't too bad, but the nurse needs to look at you going high 11.4 at 2 hrs and hypo at another time

It takes a while to come to terms with losing a loved one. It's good you're feeling a bit better