High Fasted blood sugar for 17 year old?

Someone101

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 17, about to turn 18 and I have a family history of type 2 diabetes.

I am not really "thin/lean" and I am skinny-fat. I weigh 155 lbs, 6'0" but have a high body fat% (34 inch waist).

I am currently bulking up, trying to build muscle, and I went and checked my blood sugar.

My fasted blood sugar (after 12 hours of fasting) was 98/100, which was "normal," but it is still very high.

I am very concerned; what should my next steps be?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Someone101 That's around 5.5 mmol (this is a UK site) which is still within the normal range. Remember too that glucose meters have a margin of error so your 98 could be an 88, for example.

Why did you test your blood sugar? Are you having symptoms that concern you?

Someone101

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Someone101 That's around 5.5 mmol (this is a UK site) which is still within the normal range. Remember too that glucose meters have a margin of error so your 98 could be an 88, for example.

Why did you test your blood sugar? Are you having symptoms that concern you?

This wasn't a home test -- this was done in an actual laboratory.

I got it checked because I was urinating frequently [though that may have been hypochondria and anxiety] but I thought I'd get it checked since I have some fat and a family history.

I do go to the gym and lift weights 3x/week and eat mostly healthy. I also do cardio 2-3x/week, but still it showed 98. I am currently bulking up [gaining muscle weight].

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok :) Your blood sugar is in the normal range, but obviously if you're concerned the best thing to do is to see a doctor for your own peace of mind.

It sounds like you're leading a healthy life, eating well and exercising :)

Someone101

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok :) Your blood sugar is in the normal range, but obviously if you're concerned the best thing to do is to see a doctor for your own peace of mind.

It sounds like you're leading a healthy life, eating well and exercising :)

Its in the normal range, but it still very high and not recommended.

I had a viral fever and I was on a lot of medication during the testing -- plus I had additional stress and slept about 6.5 hours the night before. [I also had a Dominos pizza the night before] Could all this also play a factor?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its in the normal range, but it still very high and not recommended.

I had a viral fever and I was on a lot of medication during the testing -- plus I had additional stress and slept about 6.5 hours the night before. [I also had a Dominos pizza the night before] Could all this also play a factor?

It could very well have had an effect. Your blood sugar isn't "very high". It's within range, and, as you said, you had a lot to deal with when it was tested, including a fever.

Do see a doctor if you're concerned. I understand that you're worried because there's diabetes in your family, but that doesn't mean you'll definitely get it. You say you've lost weight and are exercising, so that's good. Healthy eating, a sensible weight, and exercise will all help your general health :)

You could have the fasting test repeated when conditions are better - that is, you're not ill, etc. You could also ask for a HbA1C test if you're really concerned.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
98 translates to 5.44 here in the UK which is totally normal. - it is not high at all.
If you are drinking a couple of litres a day then you will urinate a few times a day as well.

frequent urination is every 15 minutes( in the diabetic world).
as azure said - if you have concerns get to see your doctor.
we are unable to diagnose on a forum

all the best !!

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That 98 fasting level is not high. When I was diagnosed my fasting levels were above 300 for 5 days in a row.

You lead a healthy lifestyle so I'm sure you have no problems

Good luck