High fat, low carb

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Ok so bare with me, having had t1 for over 20 years I've just started trying low carb high fat diet. Probably been doing it for 4 weeks now, an some highs and lows (both mentally and blood sugar wise). I was hoping to know whether I'm on the right track, this evening I ate meat balls, cheese, broccoli, onion and spinach in cream. Obviously I know the veg have carbs but I'm trying to get the majority of carbs from veg and eat between 50-70g a day if that. Is this a good meal or am I way off the mark?

Thanks.

Reactions: 5 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so bare with me, having had t1 for over 20 years I've just started trying low carb high fat diet. Probably been doing it for 4 weeks now, an some highs and lows (both mentally and blood sugar wise). I was hoping to know whether I'm on the right track, this evening I ate meat balls, cheese, broccoli, onion and spinach in cream. Obviously I know the veg have carbs but I'm trying to get the majority of carbs from veg and eat between 50-70g a day if that. Is this a good meal or am I way off the mark?

Thanks.
Looks good, although I found I had to watch out for protein, which can convert to carbs when low carbing.

Reactions: 3 people

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Looks good, although I found I had to watch out for protein, which can convert to carbs when low carbing.

Thanks, and @noblehead, with the protein turning to carbs how do you work with that? I mean if you reduce the protein and eat mostly high fat, what is a typical meal like for you? Or do you keep the protein and inject accordingly?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, and @noblehead, with the protein turning to carbs how do you work with that? I mean if you reduce the protein and eat mostly high fat, what is a typical meal like for you? Or do you keep the protein and inject accordingly?
I keep the protein and have to bolus for 50% of it converting to carbs. We are all different and you will need to see how it affects you. I usually see a slow rise from protein at about 2-3 hours, so I tend to bolus for it at the end of the meal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Rob would be the best person to answer this Mooshk as I don't follow a LCHF diet, but when I do have a low-carb meal such as bacon & eggs or a cheese omelette I inject some insulin before the meal and some 2-3 hours (a split-dose), really it's trial & error and only by testing and learning from your experiences will you find what best works for you.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find I inly need to bolus for protein if I have 10g or less of carbs per meal. The meal looks good to me, but just beware that there can be hidden carbs in processed meat. Also, if you had any sauce with the meatballs, check the carb content on that too. Other than that, looks like you're on the right path.