High Glucose Drinks

livitridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was just wondering, I was a bit naughty last night and had a whole can of rockstar, the whole can itself was about 69g of carb.
I forgot to bolas for it, but my blood sugars were normal in the morning. Is this normal for sugars to rise quickly and drop down after a sugary drink?

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
are you sure it wasnt the Sugar free Rock Star? that amount of Sugar would take me nearly a day to correct. were you drinking alcohol at the time? maybe all you did was correct a crash in BS before it happened by drinking it.? i imagine if it had pushed you up really high you would have woke up needing to pee in the night.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was just wondering, I was a bit naughty last night and had a whole can of rockstar, the whole can itself was about 69g of carb.
I forgot to bolas for it, but my blood sugars were normal in the morning. Is this normal for sugars to rise quickly and drop down after a sugary drink?

If it wasn't sugar free then it may just be that your basal insulin dose is to high and that is what dropped your bg levels by the morning, I would check your bg levels tonight just to be sure.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The sugar free rockstars are like 5g of carbs, but if it was a full 69g combined with alcohol i can see 2 things going on.

1) Alcohol tends to cause a delayed low, and can keep your sugars low for hours after drinking, it also prevents carbs from being processed as they normally would, which is the cause for the low. So this could have stretched out that 69g of carbs throughout the night, making it less 'spikey' lol

2) If you have your basal dose set higher then it needs to be and you slept longer then you should have perhaps it was counteracting the excess carbs that have been stretched out ?

In the future maybe switch you the sugar free rockstars lol My preference is now the Monster energy zero ultra in the white can 0g carbs, SO good lol

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering if you are newly diagnosed?
If so you may still be in the honeymoon period with your pancreas still functioning to some extent if intermittently.

livitridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been Type 1 for 8 years now It was full sugar, blueberry rockstar with no alcohol lol. Felt quite high before bed but woke up relatively normal (9) I know that's still high but it's not what I expected! I might play around with my basal,

I get 0.85 from 12-3am and then I get 1.10 U an hour till 6, and then 1.40 U through out the day. This is not a lot compared to what I was originally having..Around 3 months ago I would always wake up super high so needed a lot of basal as the morning approached, but now it seems to have just suddenly switched round lol? Would quite like to get this back under control so I can stop worrying and have my life back nothing seems to be working right even though I've changed NO settings on my pod, and everything was going perfectly for months before. My BS would stay between 5-7 all day + night, I managed to never go Low or High. Now I'm always either High or low?