High Glucose levels

JoanneByers

Hello

Just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience to me. I have been T2 for almost 20 years. I take 1000mg Metformin with breakfast and evening meal, and I also take 80mg Gliclazide with evening meal. This has been my usual medication for many years and I have been plodding along without any issue, HBA1C usually around 6.5 and regular checks of my BG are usually somewhere between 4.5 and 10.5.

In this past week I have been getting high readings of anything from 10 up to 16. I have not particularly changed what I eat or my exercise levels. I have not been ill and cannot think of any reason why this would happen. The only symptom of high glucose I have had has been a thirst and when I think about it perhaps I have been more tired than usual.

Anyway, yesterday I saw my GP and explained what was happening and all he suggests is to daily take another 80mg Gliclazide at breakfast time. I have started doing that today but my sugar levels are still high. How soon should I expect to see a reduction in my sugars after taking extra medication and is there anything else I should be asking the Doctor to do for me rather than just increase my meds.

I am so confused as to why this would happen when I have had my diabetes well under control for many years.

Thanks

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Glitgazide is fast acting I believe so should work with in 30 mins. I always take my meds before I eat so they sort of work together. I'm guessing at the moment the doctor checking to see how u react with extra meds. Maybe in time they will discuss stronger meds if it's not working for u.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first thought is to ask: how long have you been on Gliclazide?
Also, have you been on any other sulfonylureas in the past 20 years (particularly glibenclamide)?

I ask because sulfonylureas work my stimulating your pancreas' beta cells to produce more insulin. While gliclazide is considered to be one of the safer ones, in chronic usage (10+ years) there is evidence to suggest that (some) sulfonylureas can cause cell apoptosis.

In layman's terms, if you've been using them for 20 years, it's possible that your pancreas is losing its ability to produce insulin. I don't want to scare you, but it is a possibility, especially if you're not responding to the increased dosage.

JoanneByers

20 years ago I was diet control only. Then over the years I was put on Gliclazide, then Metformin. As I lost some weight and my diabetes improved my Gliclazide was stopped.It was only restarted around a year ago

Sco81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Glitgazide is fast acting as it works quick. Other drugs could benifit u. Myself I take 1000mg metformin and 160mg glitgazide twice a day and also victoza. Once a day. Which is a lot but it's working.

JoanneByers

Glitgazide is fast acting as it works quick. Other drugs could benifit u. Myself I take 1000mg metformin and 160mg glitgazide twice a day and also victoza. Once a day. Which is a lot but it's working.

Thanks Scott. I was asking how fast the gliclazide should work as taking an extra tablet today has not really made any difference.