High Hba1c ?

Hi I had my blood taken last week and the result of my Hb1ac is 87%, My Diabetic nurse told me I didn't need to be seen again . I am on 6 tabs a day but the nurse I have spoken too today that gave me the results said I need to see My diabetic nurse and ask for a 24 hrs urine sample too? I am a bit worried. :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not quite clear in your post which nurse is which, but an HBa1C of 87mmol (= 10.1%) which is far too high and needs appropriate treatment i.e. low-carb diet, appropriate tablets and if it stays above 7.5% then insulin needs to be considered. A urine sample is normally taken at the annual diabetes review to check kidney function. I wonder why the nurse is suggesting a urine sample? It shouldn't be used to measure blood sugar once diagnosed. I suggest you take a sample along as requested but you need to review the tablets you are on in conjunction with the low-carb diet (you are low-carbing aren't you?) with the diabetes nurse and agree some targets such as move to insulin if on three-level tablets (see NICE Diabetes Pathway document) and the HBa1C doesn't come below 7.5% (58 mmol).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP says that they have been asked for a 24 hour urine sample. When I did my home nursing course that meant that all urine collected over a 24 hour period had to be collected in something like a demijohn. I can't imagine what part that plays in testing for diabetes.

That little screw top pot they give you at check up time will definitely overflow.