High Levels and Poorly

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Currently my levels are a bit high. I have only just got the monitor and am trying to work out which food works for me and which doesn't.

Up until now though, my lunchtime reading has either been the same or lower than the breakfast one.

Today it is nearly two points higher and I have eaten less.

I did however start with a sore throat yesterday and woke up this morning with a full blown cold. Feeling pretty rotten at the moment :evil:

So really my questions is, does a cold make your levels rise?

I am a bit worried about how high it is.

Thanks

Claire

jfairy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people who show no respect to people in wheel chairs
I find a cold does make my levels rise or any illness for that matter ! try to drink lots but if you are worried try to see your doctor or diabetic nurse hope you are feeling better soon :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Clarissa,

Yes, an unwanted side effect of colds and flu is that they raise your blood sugar. You also need to be careful about what medication you take as many of them (e.g. day nurse) have a very high sugar content. If you need to take something you are better sticking to a simple a n a l g e s i c treatment like paracetamol or ibuprofen. Any pharmacist should be able to tell you which is the most suitable for a diabetic to take.

erroneous

Yes...it does increase your blood sugar level whatever you may eat...even if you cannot eat a lot!! You definately need to increase your doses. Be careful though and test your blood sugar level even more.
If worried, call your diabetic nurse.

cold and disease --> :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Take care :)

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Im not currently on any medication for the diabetes, so there is nothing to increase.

I am trying to only take beechams cold tablets or ibruprofen. I have sugar free strepsols for my throat.

Was just very worried with how high it went, when I have eaten less.

Thanks again for the answers, I will try not to worry too much now I know.

Claire

scoobysnack

I very nearly started a thread about this. I was off work all last week with the first real cold since diagnoses and I was really ill. My blood was in the 20's days before i realised i was getting sick and then stayed that way till now, even though it's abating. i nearly doubled my insulin but it still wouldn't come down. It is not an easy thing to deal with, do lots of sugar testing and maybe raise the insulin. Abaove all try to get well soon.

Reactions: 2 people

jfairy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people who show no respect to people in wheel chairs
yes was told the same by my chemist ! I use olbas oil if I am bunged up ,put a few a drops on a tissue .