High levels new pump getting fed up feeling ill

justjay

Recently moved to an accuchek combo from the animas 2020 and have exactly the same basal rate as before. But the difference is my levels on the new pump are so knackered and high I don't know what to do. I'm fed up of feeling ill and worrying about them running high. I just cannot understand how they were better on the old pump with the same settings! Can anyone pls give me some advice on this? I'm working late all weekend so fasting is out the question at the moment unfortunately.

justjay

I have, changed it a few times and although I've had a few canula issues, they seem to be running higher than they should...

iHs

Have you tried increasing your hourly basal rates to see if bg levels alter? Presuming there's nothing wrong with the cartridge, tube or set, Its possible that the combo pump delivers the basal rate different to the 2020 so unfortunately, you are going to have to do loads of bg tests and some basal rate testing to get your bg levels to be ok again. If its the set you are using, have you still got some Animas sets and tubes as they will fit the Combo. Many have to change from using one type of set to using another as insulin doesnt get absorbed all that well. Have you tried another area on your body to insert sets?

If everything fails no matter what, then use a pen or syringe to deliver insulin as you dont want to have high bg levels for too many hours.........

justjay

Not yet but I'm going to. I was thinking that it could be different as the combo delivers the hourly rate every 3 minutes apparently so that might be affecting it. The sets fit from the 2020 so can switch and choose, think it'll be a load of messing about again though!

Ladybirdy75

I'm stumped if i know, i'm on the Paradigm Veo (medtronic) and have been on it for 3 years and simply cannot get a handle on stabilising it :-(. I'm not a numpty, i do my research, monitor, have all the pumping books, eat extremely healthily with no sugars other than from fruit or in cereals/rice/pasta, have jiggled base rate patterns, carb ratios and still this week my HbA1c was 83 (9.7%) up from last year! Just at this moment in time i am sick of the whole thing! Lol ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

justjay

Ladybirdy75 said:
I'm stumped if i know, i'm on the Paradigm Veo (medtronic) and have been on it for 3 years and simply cannot get a handle on stabilising it :-(. I'm not a numpty, i do my research, monitor, have all the pumping books, eat extremely healthily with no sugars other than from fruit or in cereals/rice/pasta, have jiggled base rate patterns, carb ratios and still this week my HbA1c was 83 (9.7%) up from last year! Just at this moment in time i am sick of the whole thing! Lol ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I feel for you, really do. Took me ages to get any resemblance of control. Gets a bit tedious to say the least! I hope it gets better for you :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think that some of us pump users have to change our basals and bolus's more frequently than other people on pumps.

It sounds as if some pump users are a bit wary of changing doses. I've certainly had to change mine regularly..
Eg... My hubby works 4 weekly shifts.. So for 4 werks I get up at 5am, for 4 weeks I get up at 8am... I have to change profiles for getting up earlier.
I have to be aware that my busy workdays are slightly different to my weekends. Also summer is very different to winter. Then holidays such as christmas I have to run at 250% on basal as my bolus's increase because of the extra foods...

I change my basals ( rarely bolus's) if I get bad readings for 2 consecutive days at the same time each day.

Also, pump users need to recognise that altering just 1 hour's dose may affect readings for the following 5 hours... So sometimes tweaking for a high at 10am for example may mean that you have to lower the basal rate two hours later... Because of the extra insulin given to combat the high is still active and ongoing for 5 hours....

Different pumps feed insulin to us in different manners, so swapping from 1 branded pump to a different branded pump does mean that there well may be a change in basal rates...