High Levels

Sillymilly

Hello everyone,

As you can see I am totally new to this forum so please bare with me if I make mistakes etc.

I am so glad to have found you and to "listen" to everyone else, I dont feel like I am quite as alone as I thought I was.

I have been type 2 diabetic since May 2005 and have been taken metformin. My levels has always been very stable approx 5.5 - 6. All of a sudden in July last year my levels started to increase for some unknown reason. They were in region of 15 -25 in the evening before bed. Mornings were around 10- 15 sometimes higher. I have tried various other tablets along side my metformin with no success. At the beginning of December I was started on Lantus insulin which was once a day with my metformin, no change so then they added Novarapid to have before my evening meal. Still no change but now they have started me on Novamix 30 which I have to do before breakfast and evening meal. I am using 24 in the morning and 20 in the evening which has been steadily increased since starting.

This weekend I have had two hypo's but each time my levels were only 7.9 and 6.7. I cant get back to my normal level of 5 - 6 without feeling so awful. I suppose my body has got so used to the high levels it difficult to get back without feeling awful.

Sorry for the essay but I just needed to get this off my chest. Needed someone to talk to who knows how I must be feeling. My family are great but of course they dont quite understand as none of them or diabetic.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I should deal with the drops other than the usual, it would be a great help.

Thanks for listening.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
Sorry you're having a worrying time
we'll try to help you
Plase send us an account of what you are eating,

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi sillymilly.

Sorry to hear that you're finding your control is getting harder.

First piece of advice would be this. Hypos in the 6's and 7's are a good sign that your average blood sugar is quite elevated. I'm sure you know you should try and bring this down, and that might take a few days. Keep a pack of dextrosol tablets handy, because they will help you to raise your bs if necessary, but in a controlled way. 1 tab might lift your bs by around 1mmol/l perhaps.

This will allow you to avoid over-correcting and sending your bs too high. Then, as your numbers begin to get lower, the hypo range will fall back where it belongs - the high 3's and low 4's.

Otherwise, what is your diet like?

All the best,

fergus