High Morning BG Levels??

andyrobo

Hi all you learned people - can you help me?

I have been low-carbing for a week now, which is doing great for my bg levels during the day - which is fab, and I must be really healthy with all these vegetables!

However, the sticking point is my rising bg level - it is always in the mid-sevens, which I know is not high in the great scheme of things, but I am averaging 4-5.5 readings 2 hours after meals, and also before meals, and similarly with bed time levels. I have read up on the Dawn effect and the other one, and have tried all the usual solutions offered - protein snack - tried various things, and yoghurt, even tried a car snack (worse than normal levels!), and even tried no snack and a smaller tea! I tend to have my evening meal before 6pm with the kids, and dont have a large meal.

What else can I try - or do I just have to live with it until such time that they put me on medication? Would I be right in thinking that this would 'bump up' my HbA1c over the 2-3 months? Do I need to do some exercise first thing to bring it down? I do have breakfast within half an hour of rising, and 2 hours later my levels are down to the 4-5 level.

Any bright ideas out there - I have googled it to death!

Cheers

Andrea

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
hi Andrea

i am having a real prob with this at the mo, but then i started with 21.6 fasting test and am now on my own tests anything between 12.9 and 17!

this morning was down to below 14 and hoping to see it going down, am convinced my liver thinks i am starving in the middle of the night and gives me a good dump of glycogen :evil:

am working hard on the no/low carbs this week and will keep posting if the results show some success, i have about 5/6 weeks til i see the doc again after another Hba1c test and am desparate to get the levels down without the threat of meds

keep up the good work anyway, sadly we can't expect results overnight :D

jacqui

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Andy,I know you want to eat with your kids but you would probably be better eating your meal later on in the evening and then having a small protein type snack a bit later.think may counteract the dawn effect.I know that if I eat earlier than 7 and then don't eat again my BS in the morning is always higher than usual.

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
My first thing in the morning readings used to be in the order of 10 - 14, until I acted on my dietitian's advice and started eating breakfast (a pot of yogurt). Her rationale was that if the liver can be trained to aticipate a carb delivery soon after waking, it will stop doing a glucose dump before waking. It seems to be working as my first thing BG reading very rarely reaches double figues and is more likely to be in the 7 to 9 range.

Steve