high readings since taking metformin

sammy1998

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi, has anyone noticed that their blood sugar has risen since taking metformin? :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been using Metformin since 2002. What raises my Bg depends on what I eat. I avoid carbs most of the time and keep to a range of 4.7 - 6.3. The only breads Iuse are Burgen Soya and linseed or Livlife., I eat no more that 2 baby new potatoes per meal or a single tablespoonful of rice. I don't have cakes or biscuits or anything with more than tiny amounts of sugar, either natural or added. It works, but takes a certain amount of committment. You can't expect Metformin to lower your Bg by much even at maximum doses. If you want to rely on medication to do all the work, you'll need something fiercer.
Hana

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Hana is right ( sad face :( ) I am on the max dr will give and still not where I want them and the side affects are unpleasent spoke to dr today over phone when he wrang over somthing epse and ask about metformin sr but said possably when my bgs are more stable ( verry sad face :cry: ) I thing I need to visit the grrrrrrr thread as I feel a large one comming on

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
woompa73
My dose is minimal 2 x 500mg per day. I choose not to have any more medication, but it means I have to be careful with eating. It's not hard. I've got used to it. I also decided to keep to "near normal" blood sugars.
Hana

drguy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on it for two days, only 250mg, for insulin resistance following a pretty much lifelong history of (reactive) hypoglycaemia attacks that have progressively crept up from initial symptoms starting around 4.5 to recently 5.5, which is just getting ridiculous. I've stopped having hypo symptoms quite so high and now getting symptoms starting at around 4.7, which is comparatively great and means I don't need to eat as much as often. However, I have been having postprandial levels around 2hr 8.3, which is unheard of for me. I almost never get above 7 even before 2 hours. My doctor said the metformin would reduce the reactive hypoglycaemia and make my levels stable, but 8.3 just doesn't seem right and makes me feel horrible. Any idea why the rise might happen? Obviously, it could be coincidence but that's a pretty weird coincidence.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings did shoot up from mid 6 ish to 20+ as soon as I took the tablets ... My doc and db nurse are not intrested, so carried on taking the tablets. Readings now returned to mid 6 now .. I was diagnosed type 2 in December.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
interesting readin I always thought taking metformin was supposed to lower your bg levels....this forum is a mine of information I must make a point of reading all....

drguy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, mine settled after about a week, and I'm loving it now. I had to adjust my dose to twice daily, because I was getting food cravings in the afternoons after my night dose wore off, but now I've lost a stone, have no more insulin resistance, and can go a normal amount of time without eating something. It has really changed my life.

I don't know why there is that paradoxical increase in the first few days for some people, but it seems to be temporary. Unfortunately, my endocrinologist was totally uninterested too, told me it was just because I was checking it more, which is ridiculous. People who say you can't feel high blood sugar have never had it.
My readings did shoot up from mid 6 ish to 20+ as soon as I took the tablets ... My doc and db nurse are not intrested, so carried on taking the tablets. Readings now returned to mid 6 now .. I was diagnosed type 2 in December.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Observation may not be causation, there may be other factors