1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High readings

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by maxgarry, Nov 29, 2020.

1. maxgarry

maxgarry Type 2 · Member

Hi everyone. Advice please. I have been type 2 diabetic for several years. Currently on Gliclazide, Empagliflozin and insulin. I have other issues to complicate things but am experiencing swelling and numbness in both legs/feet. My left foot has lost a lot of feeling with three toes almost totally numb.
    My latest HbA1c is 58, but my daily monitoring ranges from 4.2 before breakfast up to 18.5 as the day progresses. Surely this is not acceptable?

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What are you eating?

3. maxgarry

maxgarry Type 2 · Member

Hi, I have had the same diet for years. Today my breakfast was porage with a mixture of water and semi-skimmed milk. 1 hour after, my reading was 8.8, up from 5.1 before breakfast. However, yesterday the similar readings were 12.1 and 3.8, and the day before were 12 and 4.8. I am not low carb but try to eat sensibly. It just seems that these raised readings need more attention i.e. medication adjustment.

4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

We can't advise altering your med dosage. That would need to be regarding consultation with your HCPs.

I would have to admit porridge is a tricky one to bolus for..
    What insulin/s are you prescribed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Could you swap porridge for bacon and eggs for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. I'm afraid you do need to think about that low-carb diet; porridge is not good for most of us. What insulin(s) are you on? Having both Gliclazide and insulin is unusual as they do a similar job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Though I wouldn't disagree with the breakfast menu idea.

The OP does appear to spike an hour later, then come back to the sub 4s & 5s??
    Establishing type of insulin & if insulin taken is a fixed dose would be preferable before advising a change in carb content.
    It could unfortunatly make a hell of a "difference."

#7 Jaylee, Nov 29, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  8. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on low carb and it works. If I even look at or think about wheat, white or whole grain, etc, my BG goes through the roof. Now, bacon and eggs. Not a problem, for me, at least. I cannot do carbs at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Miranda Priestley

Miranda Priestley · Member

Hi,
    Have you seen a doctor? Maybe you should change your medications or your diet. Consultation of the doctor in my opinion is better than self-treatment.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook