High Sugar Level

the_exile

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share and perhaps get some thoughts regarding an incident which happened a few nights ago.

Blood sugars were fine up until bedtime, I'd had my evening meal and knew exactly how much carbs were in it as it's a meal I've had numerous times and know exactly how much insulin is needed, this was around 6pm. I pumped the amount to cover it so that was all fine. Checked blood sugars at 11pm before bed and 32.7!!!! Never been this high before so was totally shocked. Anyway, checked pump, there was no non delivery message, checked for air bubbles, none, checked for any other blockages, non apparent.

It was very very strange, with no apparent malfunction or anything to stop the pump actually woprking, the canulla i thought may have somehow taken a knock and bent in my stomach but nothing of the sort, the only other thing I could think of at the time was that i masively misjudged my evening meal? But it was only fish and some mashed potato and bread and butter (it was a fairly carb heavy meal I'll admit!!) with a glass of cider (sat out the back garden, lovely night), all that was taken into account when working out carbs and amount of insulin to pump.

Anyway, I pumped a corrective does of around 9 or 10 units i think it was, and 2 hours later at just after 1am it was still up at 30.2 this time, so it was most definitely the pump, so dummied a set change and had plenty insulin coming through the canulla, insulin seemed to be running freely etc. The only thing now I can think of is that the insulin somehow lost it's potency, I was 2 days into this infusion set. I chucked that vial of insulin, changed the infusion set, reluctantly gave myself another correction and by 4am it was down at 20, then down to 12 by the time I woke up and was back to normal mid morning after breakfast and a further correction.

It's not easy this pump lark is it? :mrgreen:

kt78

Hi there

I'm not sure if you did have a bad batch of insulin / dodgy cannula or whatever, but just thought I'd check you had given yourself enough of a correction dose the first time as the 'rules' have quite recently changed. The NHS now advises doubling your normal corrective dose if above 14mmol and ketones are present:

Glucose: More than 14 Ketones: 0 -1 Take correction dose
Glucose: More than 14 Ketones: 1-3 Take double correction dose and repeat hourly until ketones less than 1
Glucose: More than 14 Ketones: Over 3 Take double correction dose as above and seek medical advice

Measure glucose and ketone levels hourly
Drink plenty of sugar free fluids
Retest ketones every hour until less than 1.

Just thought I'd mention, happy pumping!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If I had gone that high I would have corrected by pen.... And changed everything including batterys....

I have never gone that high ever, but If I had... Because of never going that high.. Even above 20 would have rung alarm bells that something was wrong with pump...sets etc... I know at that level it would not be me...

jagger38

I have been having similar problems, last few days. I put in a new set change on Monday afternoon, all seemed okay, blood sugars normal that evening, next morning, slightly raised on 13.6, but came down gradually enough to eat. Yesterday morning, up to 17, did a correction, but was annoyed by the time it took to work, very slow, and had to put on a temp basal to get it anywhere close to normal. Today was the worse, went to bed on 8.5, awoke on 24.7, very high ketones, and now feeling very scared. I made the mistake of doing a correction but realised after, that this set wasn't working, so did a correction with my pen. It took over 3 hours to get it down to 11, so I could have breakfast. I checked my old site, only thing I can think is, it has been stinging every time I do a bolus, and I had it close to another site, which had a reaction to the cannula. I do not think the insulin was being absorbed properly, I find it really hard now finding places to put the inset's. I normally put it in my stomach, but am now using my sides. I have now lost confidence, and am not sure if the pump is for me anymore. I have got an appointment next week, to see the diabetic nurse, to discuss this. Pumps are great when they work, but they do fail sometimes, and I hate having the worry of not knowing what's happening with my blood sugar. Anyone else feel this way, or shall I just put it down to experience? :?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try using your bum cheeks if stomach possibly needing a rest.. I cant use my stomach at all and dont have bad numbers in my bum..

You can get faulty sets...try using a different batch number.. And if your sets in new batch dont give large rises.. Then its possible that sets could be at fault and would be worth speaking to company to get the problem sets changed over.

What sets are you using.. I believe (although stand to be corrected) that stainless steel give better results than flexible ones...

I have felt like you previously.. But stuck with it.. And glad I have...

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi kt78 - I can't see what the difference is between when ketones are 1-3 and over 3? From what you wrote, you just double the correction dose in both instances.

OP (and anyone else having problems with a pump) - like you I'm having slightly erratic blood sugars. Yesterday when I woke up my bs was over 12 which was unusual (usually 4-6) so I took a correction dose. The correction dose didn't work that well so I had to take a bit more insulin and then, afterwards, my lunch bolus didn't work very well (bs reached about 12 again). My blood sugar numbers rarely go above 9 or so, even after a meal. My infusion set (quickset) had only been in for just over a day, the insulin seems fine, the canula was functioning properly and was straight when it came out, I don't have any tissue scars. My only answer was that the insulin wasn't being absorbed for some reason. I had a very similar experience just 2 weeks ago as well. At the moment I seem to get at least one day like this every 10 days or so. I've tried different canula sets but I've also had bad experiences with them too.

I've only had the pump now for about 7 months but, the way I'm feeling at the moment, I'm getting more unexplained highs using a pump than I ever did on mdi! I'm unusual in that I was given a pump to try and reduce the number and extent of the bs lows I was having. It's definitely helped sort that out but I'm now getting really really fed up with the highs. I'm may end up giving back the pump (sorry NHS and also to those who have to deal with my frequent hypos). Why do I get these unexplained highs?

I'm using a medtronic 723 by the way with sure-t and quickset infusion sets.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I think the difference is at over 3 you also need to seek medical advice.