high sugar levels

coopsvip

Hi.

I've got type 2 diabetes controlled by diet. I've notice lately i am getting really high readings, after eating porridge and strawberries for breakfast my levels went up to 12.9 a hour after eating then back down to 4.2 (haven't had a reading in 4s for months) two hours after eating.

I find even a small amount of carbs pushes my bs levels high.

should I be worried about the spikes or is this normal?

sarahg0810

It could have been the strawberries which caused the rise in your sugar levels, as they are full of natural sugars!! Might be worth trying the porridge without them to see if it makes a difference!! :0)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bedshaped2000

I had the same when I first started out. it will be the porridge I'm afraid. how much did you have. Ican some times get way with 20 grams but the spike iisn't worth it. it also depends how refined the oat is. if it's out of a packet it will for sure hit your bloods the cabs in the porridge are very high. jumbo oats are the best as they are less refined and larger so the body takes longer to breakdown thus raising you levels Lower. personally I would give up on it and try links granola packed with Brazil nuts and flaxseed. I've had this for last 4 yes stayed of pills and breakfast keeps you full and steady for 3hrs

coopsvip

thanks for replies. I had one of those instant porridge sachets, not the best I no.

problem is even the smallest amount of carbs seems to cause a spike. I had 2 poached eggs on a slice of wholemeal toast yesterday and after a hour reading was 9.6.

how bad are these spikes? they only last a hour or so.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. First it's normal to measure 2 hours after a meal not 1 hour. Your 2 hour reading was really good. I think your figures a quite good overall, but may be going onto Metformin in the future might help a bit?

bedshaped2000

try ditching the bread and replace with mushrooms tomato and pepper. I've given up on bread apart from burgen which I still have to cover with cheese egg or ham. check the cards in bread. some bread even wholemeal can be as much as 22 g of carbohydrates a slice. burgen is about 12g

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Probably the porridge, although I find it the best for me at breakfast with blueberries. All fruit has slow burning sugars but some faster than others. Also, do you use real porridge or jnstant the latter high in Gi?

bedshaped2000

sorry for the poor spelling in my last few post I was using my phone and the keys are so small lol ref it was links granola sorry

bedshaped2000

sorry for the poor spelling in my last few post I was using my phone and the keys are so small lol ref it was links granola sorry

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Try Burgen instead of wholemeal if you really want bread, it is low Gi aroind 12 carbs per normal slice - I buy small loaf though!