Higher bg and sleep

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was wondering... My BG is very good lately (I manage to keep it < 8-9 most of the time, except occasional short after-meal spikes), so I'm very happy about that. When I'm not eating my BG is usually around 4-6 zone (so awesome!). I'm used to going to sleep with my BG around 4-5 (maybe 6) and I'm comfortable with that thanks for my CGM. I recently noticed that if I go to sleep with my BG in my "high" zone (around 8) I wake up extremely tired - more tired than when I went to bed :\ My BG is not obviously "high", but I wake up exhausted. I'm not waking up at night to pee (I do when my BG is > 10), but it seems like I can't get a proper sleep.

Did anyone notice this/heard about this? I don't know if this is entirely related to my BG or should I be looking for other causes?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do you know what your blood sugars are doing overnight............/?

in theory they should be doing nothing, well, fluctuation between 1 and 2 mmol, but that's it...........

if your higher before bed you could be going higher overnight which could be contributing to your feeling of tiredness......

worth a check anyway.....:)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Have you had a TFT (thyroid function test) done .
Vitamin D levels checked .

If hypothyroid or low in VitaminD ?
These can contribute to extreme tiredness .
Worth a thought or mention to your GP if never
been screened or checked .

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm using a CGM and can see my BG is stable overnight.

I have hypothyroidism and I'm taking Vit D due to previously detected minor deficiency (it's good now but I'm still on it).

The whole thing seem to happen only when my BG is "higher" than my normal (ie, it's 8 instead of usual 5). If my BG is 4-6 I sleep like a baby and wake up all perfect.