Highs in first trimester

hdm_84

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of reassurance if nothing else. I'm 7 weeks pregnant & my sugar levels are all over the place. Before conception they were good but since conceiving they've gone crazy & seem to change daily, which makes it very hard to keep up with insulin adjustments. I'm aware that these are the most important weeks to have good control due to the babies organs developing etc & I'm so concerned that I'm causing damage. I'm due to see the diabetes nurse today so hopefully she'll help but is anyone else in this position? Has anyone else experienced this & still had a healthy baby at the end?

Thanks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Worried123

Hi
First thing you are not alone
I had the same problem but my endocrinologist kept telling me usually type1 diabetics have lows in first trimester, normal control in second trimester and highs in third trimester
However I def had highs through the first 12 weeks of pregnancy
I had to increase my insulin basal and short acting by about 50% and test blood glucose almost 20 times a day ... I also found there was no pattern to my insulin requirements
I am still continuing with my insulin pens but know that some women find the pump helps
Also u could try reduce carbs in diet but not cut them out completely
Finally try and do some light exercise daily eg walking for 20 minutes as this will increase blood flow and insulin sensitivity
I am almost 17 weeks I have my first anomaly scan this week very worried all I have done since finding out I was pregnant is worry
I joined many forums to see how many women have conceived on poor control and their outcomes but so far no horror stories
What was your hb1ac at conception? And what is it now?
Risk of abnormalities are higher if high readings but doesn't mean u will def have problems many women have healthy babies so fingers and everything else crossed for both of us
Risks are lower of course if blood glucose levels are kept within normal ranges but its very hard work
Good luck

hdm_84

Thanks for your reply & reassurance. I was already on the pump before getting pregnant & love it! My hba1c was 52 (6.9) in June. I'm 7 weeks pregnant now & it was 45 (6.3) the other day. Had an appointment with the diabetes nurse & she's very pleased with my readings so think I was being a bit hard on myself.

It's such hard work but I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end. Been trying to get myself to the gym but been feel nauseous all the time so haven't managed much. Bought a Pilates for pregnancy DVD though so will give that a go & off camping this weekend so will be doing lots of walking!

Thank you x