Hiya, My son Ryan has t1, dx'd 6/o8

laurajo

Hiya, i am so glad i have found this place. My son, Ryan was diagnosed last June at 4 years old for type 1. Life since then has been a bit of a blur really. I had a baby in July. Baby had operation on his tummy in August. Ryan started school in September and since then we have just been taking one day at a time.
I think it was only a couple of months ago it all really hit me. Suddenly i was crying all the time and just felt really helpless. Since then i have spent lots of time trying to learn all i can about diabetes and finding really brilliant websites like this. It is so good to feel like you are not the only person dealing with this. I didn't know anybody with Type 1 diabetes before my son was dx'd and so i didn't have the first clue about any of it.
My son has been brilliant. It is amazing how young children just cope with things so much better than you could have imagined. He still has days where he doesn't want the injections or won't eat his snacks but mostly he seems to have accepted that he has diabetes really well.
It is so hard as a parent though you just want to make everything better for them and you can't.
We are giving him twice daily injections of mixtard 30 at the moment, although i am not convinced it is working that well and look forward to reading other peoples experiences and hopefully finding helpful advice and ideas.
laura

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Re: Hiya, My son Ryan has t1, dx'd 6/o9

Hello and welcome to the forum Laura.

We have a number of parents of type 1 children who regularly contribute to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here, we are a friendly bunch...really :)

Regards, Tubs.

Katharine

Hi Laura,

Your son will shortly be going to nursery/school. This of course is a big transition. Fortunately we have several mum members who have sorted out good action plans, sometimes with a bit of effort, with their schools.

Mixtard has the advantages of just two jags a day, but you are right about how well it works with unpredictable wee boys.

The multiple daily injection regime, also called basal/bolus, is much more flexible when it comes to meals and exercise routines.

Would your son trade more jags for being able to eat (almost) when he likes?

Eventually almost all kids make the transition to MDIs. A big issue is, is the school near enough for you to come and give the lunch time injection? By about 8 years old most kids are injecting themselves but it can be patchy up till then and teachers are most unhappy about taking the responsiblity for injections.

I'm not surprised everything has been a blur. Are you getting any support and time for yourself at all?

Aadrgon

Hi Laura and welcome

This is the place to find out most of what you need to know about diabetes - any questions, just ask and someone will give you an answer :)

chocoholic

Hi Laura,
Welcome to the forum.It's not easy getting your head around a diabetes diagnosis when it's yourself but I can imagine when its your child, it's even harder. As Mums we just want to protect our children and when you can't, it's very difficult. As others have said, there are quite a few mum's of diabetic children on the forum, so I'm sure they'll give you heaps of advice and supportive words.
The fact you have tried to learn as much about this condition as possible, shows what a caring mum you are, so stick with us and I hope you'll soon feel welcome and confident in asking any questions you might have.
All the best, chocoholic.