Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:
I thought it might be interesting to see what hobbies everyone does. I myself am a serial hobbyist having tried Stone painting, gemstone tumbling along with gemstone pictures. Glass engraving, painting, There is a glass kiln still waiting to be used. I have been a member of Paint Shop Pro groups for 13 years (that comes and goes). I went to college I thought to study Aromatherapy and Reflexology as a hobby, but that turned into a coarse with qualifications, also spiritual healing and meditation, and Indian Head Massage. Tai-Chi. I worked in a wholesale jewellery workshop for 10years. My latest hobby started a couple of weeks ago is making beaded jewellery. And I have made some lovey sets. To get me away from sitting at the computer all day. What hobbies have you tried? And what hobby do you follow now.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Use to like playing the guitar (badly I might add) and motorbikes, now just enjoy watching sport, reading and walking a lot with my four legged friend.

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
the only hobby i have is the computer

i used to knit my brothers and nephews cricket jumpers

Reactions: 2 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Growing Orchids
Was given one and the bug bit.
Now got 3 Orchid Houses that cost lots to heat in winter, Now Winter in South Africa, down to Minus figures at night !!! :wacky:
O and Photography, I take pictures of them and wildlife

Reactions: 8 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Just started growing my own veg. Only started last year but love it. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to buy but nothing like digging up some carrots or something and eating them fresh. Our family grew up in London and my kids thought everything came in cellophane. When I first moved to the country, I sent one of my kids to a farm shop for some potatoes. He came back 20 mins later empty handed. He told me "they were dirty" so he didn't get them :)

Reactions: 13 people
C

chris lowe

Photography does it for me. I belong to a small camera club that used to be attached to the workplace social club and we had our own darkroom. I used to love going in there and processing films and pictures. Never did loose the excitement of seeing the image slowly appear from a white sheet of paper. Unfortunately when the club house closed we lost the darkroom and as the other half had the box room for his guitars and computers I was left with nowhere to go for processing. I've just thrown out all my chemicals, paper and enlarger as I know I'm not going to get a darkroom anytime soon :-((

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Use to like playing the guitar (badly I might add) and motorbikes, now just enjoy watching sport, reading and walking a lot with my four legged friend.

Sorry noblehead I just had to say this........... ah you used to play the guitar also motorbikes??;) couldn't resist that:p RRB

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No hobbies. I used to like gardening, then my husband kept pulling up what I had planted. So after around the 20th time that this had happened I finally gave up and handed the garden over to him and the deer and the rabbits and birds to do their worst with. I do grow tomatoes and cucumbers and lettuce in the greenhouse though. We have apple trees and the apples taste horrid so I pick them and store them for the deer in the Winter. There are 2 cute little baby deer with their mum in the garden right now....eating geraniums....so I suppose my hobby is looking at the wildlife in the garden, does that count?

Reactions: 10 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Interesting I hope we get some more. My Hubby was a maintenance engineer. Then after a while being retired he started to have a go at woodcarving. Never done anything with wood before and he loves it, he gives them away. But he isn't computer literate so its left up to me to find pictures for him.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to do a lot of photography and printed my own black and white photos. I used to convert the bathroom into a temporary darkroom to do the developing and printing. I still take a lot of photos but don't do much with them. I really must get back to it and complete the final Royal Photographic Society qualification that I don't have.

I'm also about to start working on updating the family tree on my father's side. My late aunt started it and I have organised a major family reunion which is being held at the beginning of August with a view to capturing as much information from my distant relatives as I can. We're expecting well over 100 relatives to attend. Should be fun.

But most of my leisure time is spent either watching sport on the telly or listening to my ever growing vinyl record collection.

Reactions: 6 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I write. I haven't got anything published by a publisher yet, though I've had some lovely rejections - LOL! I have self-published a couple of novels and a book of short stories for Kindle.

I also do watercolour painting. At the moment I'm painting lots of small pictures to turn into greetings cards for a craft stall at our village fair in Sept. I'm also making jewellery, scottie dog keyrings, tin can lanterns and bunting. My house is a tip!

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I write. I haven't got anything published by a publisher yet, though I've had some lovely rejections - LOL! I have self-published a couple of novels and a book of short stories for Kindle.

I also do watercolour painting. At the moment I'm painting lots of small pictures to turn into greetings cards for a craft stall at our village fair in Sept. I'm also making jewellery, scottie dog keyrings, tin can lanterns and bunting. My house is a tip!
oh I so wish I was creative too...then I would have a good reason for my house being a tip.

Reactions: 9 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh I so wish I was creative too...then I would have a good reason for my house being a tip.
You should see our place at the weekend when my husband is home, it goes from tip to complete sh**-hole!

Reactions: 7 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here though the guitars in the corner gathering dust, still got the bike but to be honest that doesn't see the light of the day much ( my old joints can't seem to get comfortable on a sort bike these days )
Just love to potter in the garden these days it de stresses me after work.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Same here though the guitars in the corner gathering dust, still got the bike but to be honest that doesn't see the light of the day much ( my old joints can't seem to get comfortable on a sort bike these days )
Just love to potter in the garden these days it de stresses me after work.

My guitar is long gone, sold to buy a 3 piece suit believe it or not :rolleyes:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy social history based around my family tree. I have researched right back to the 1500's on several branches, but I'm not one of these that sits at the computer finding names to add to my tree. I love the field work involved. I have searched many an old graveyard for inscriptions, found out where and how my ancestors lived, what they did for a living and where, visited the places and found their homes (some in ruins, some disappeared, some still habited albeit fully modernised these days). I have dozens upon dozens of old wills and documents and every birth, marriage and death certificate for every ancestor back to 1838 when they were first introduced. Fascinating stuff. One of my gt. gt. grandfathers died in 1897 in Derby Infirmary of diabetes at the age of 71!!

I am a bit of a bird watcher, too.

I also love photography but never to the extent of film cameras and developing my own. I use digital and Photoshop!

My previous hobby was my dogs. We only have one now, but have generally had 2 or 3. I started taking them to Agility and Obedience clubs, and as they were boxer dogs noted more for clownish behaviour than good behaviour, it was rewarding to see they held their own, especially at Agility. However, to be competitive at this sport the handler has also to be fit and fast. I'm afraid my dogs outran me every time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I also enjoy photography and have found Alexander Selkirk was the brother of one of my distant relatives.

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I write although haven't been published yet,am in the process of"fleshing out" my first young adults novel for a publisher, I knit, sew,create jewellery,and handcraft my own greetings cards,envelopes,gift boxes,gift bags,wrapping paper,writing paper and notelets. I also upcycle old furniture and clothes. So like others here my house is a tip,but it's a happy glittery tip.(I also have four stepsons)

Reactions: 9 people