Hoew to reduce my HbA1c pre-pregnancy? Help please...

JessT

Hi guys,

I'm a 29 year old T1 on a pump and using CGM. Have had diabetes for 3 years now and wanting to try for a pregnancy early next year. My HbA1c was 7.9 in July (better than it's been for a while thanks to the CGM) but am struggling still to get it down closer to 7 or even into the hallowed sixes!

Does anyone have any advice they can pass on? I seem to be extremely sensitive to stress/activity levels and a weekend of visitors/going to see people etc will send me into a spiral of hypos and highs for over a week. Have already made some big cuts to social life and starting a new job next month to allow me to work part-time and not be so hectic in the day.

Grateful of any help,
Thanks.
Jess

Sabantha

I think you need to focus on you and diabetes for a while! Cgm & pump means you have all the tools to get fantastic sugars!! The better your control the easier pregnancy will be, I had terrible 2nd pregnancy (not down to diabetes but it didn't help) give yourself and a baby the best start, work hard to get sugars tight x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mummy78

Re: R: Hoew to reduce my HbA1c pre-pregnancy? Help please...

Sabantha said:
I think you need to focus on you and diabetes for a while! Cgm & pump means you have all the tools to get fantastic sugars!! The better your control the easier pregnancy will be, I had terrible 2nd pregnancy (not down to diabetes but it didn't help) give yourself and a baby the best start, work hard to get sugars tight x

Totally agree :)

My dear Jess, the more you do now for your health the less you'll have to do later :) you are very scrupulous (I can see it :) ) so you "just" need to consider this aim as a top priority. Focus on your diet and talk about it with your consultant. Do you have a special consultant? I mean someone who work exclusively with "diabetes and pregnancy"? Someone who knows very well how an insulin pump work?

Trust me if you focus on your diet and if you know how your pump works, you'll be "ready" in 6/9 months and your pregnancy will be much easier :)

~ Arianna ~

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just anted to thank Sabantha and Arianna for their advice a few months ago...I made some changes and HbA1c 6.7 yesterday....yay! Been given go ahead to get pregnant now, can't believe it!
Thanks again,
Jess

Reactions: 2 people