Holiday Food Choices

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I’m doing ok with my diet swaps having been told in 3rd week of July that I’m prediabetic. I’ve lost about 8lbs in weight since then. Clothes fitting much better! And feeling better physically, if a bit overwhelmed by it all. Now I’m thinking about what to do when on holiday in just over a week’s time. I’m going to Croatia - I don’t know the cuisine there. We will be staying in a hotel so it might be tourist food anyway. Can’t remember if it’s only breakfast or half board, but am sure it’s not all inclusive and not self catering (we booked this before I knew I had a problem!)

So, what do you all do? How do you cope with what food to pick on holiday?

To put this in context, for the last 7 weeks I’ve been cutting out added sugar items, replacing white carbs with brown, and much smaller portions of carbs. No fruit juice or sugary drinks. A little fruit with other foods, eg berries with yogurt or a little cream; bit of apple with muesli; bit of pear with little bit of cheese. Mostly I’ve been eating more protein (fish/meat/eggs) with salad and/or veg. Snacks like hummus with crudités or olives. And vegetarian dishes, lentils or other pulses. Seems to suit me.

Also not eating potatoes. Did try a few chips the other day as was out and everything on the menu was with chips - not great; felt light headed. I don’t really want to risk them much again!

But on holiday I’m worried there will be too many dodgy food options around - and I don’t speak the language to ask about alternatives, like I might sometimes pluck up the courage to go here.

It was bad enough on a weekend away in the UK, not long after I’d started my food changes - my need to hunt down the right restaurant with the one thing on the menu I could eat (or a few when we were lucky and found a tapas place!) seemed to put strain on things. And I felt I was being a killjoy all the time!

Things might be easier this time as I’ve been able to get my husband more on board now and he too is benefiting from the food changes at home! But would love to hear any tips on how to stay on the wagon on hols. I’m starting the NHS healthier you diabetes course thing soon after we get back - I don’t want to show myself up, having done so well this far along!!

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Sounds like you’re doing well with your diet so far. You should still be able to stick with it fairly well on holiday. Like you say, cut out the potatoes and perhaps up the meat and veg. Hopefully if breakfast is included they will do English or omelette and not just continental. I normally put a few packets of pork scratching or nuts in my case just in case I get hungry and can’t find anything low carb. Enjoy

Reactions: DianaMC

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for replying, @Concordjan - good idea about the packs of nuts! Yes I think there will be eggs and suchlike for the breakfast. Might try some ham if there’s the continental buffet type selection too - and mushrooms and beans if they do full English. I guess they might have bacon, sausage or frankfurters. I’m meant to keep my fat level down and lose some middle body fat, so must try and set myself a limit ahead (its helpful to think about it now, so I really appreciate your mention of it). My problem is my eyes are often bigger than my belly!

Reactions: Concordjan