Holiday food is great but hard to treat for!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
During the holiday's it's not uncommon to be given gift of holiday treats which are quite often just too delicious to pass up. It is very hard to know how much to treat for it though. When you buy cookies or snacks in the store you can typically read the packaging to find out the serving size and the carbs per serving. This is impossible with a homemade batch of Christmas cookies however and my daughter is 10 and is also a type 1 so any suggestions?

Thank you and happy holidays!

www.myinvisiblehands.com

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it can be tricky, I always find it's best to err on the side of caution when bolusing for food where the carb content isn't available.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What I always found to be a good measure is the stuff you make yourself. Most cakes/biscuits/cookies have similar carb counts in the base ingredients, so if you know that a homemade cookie that is the size of your palm contains 35g of carbs, you can use that as a comparison for other cookies that other people have made.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
What I always found to be a good measure is the stuff you make yourself. Most cakes/biscuits/cookies have similar carb counts in the base ingredients, so if you know that a homemade cookie that is the size of your palm contains 35g of carbs, you can use that as a comparison for other cookies that other people have made.
Finally some good common sense! Thank you tim2000s

EvaVic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
www.foodfocus.co.uk your daughter doesn't need to lose weight but when u join up there is a way of inputting ingredients so at the end you will have an idea of the carb etc content.