holiday hypers

Balll01

Hi

We are currently away on our first holiday abroad with our 11 year old diabetic child. I am having problems trying to lower my daughters blood sugar readings, they are between 10 and 17 throughout the day and first thing in morning. I have altered her lantus by 1 unit but it is still high so i am going to up it again tonight. i am testing her bloods two hours after every meal and they are still high so i am giving her more insulin. Should i just keep lowering her carb ratio? I have checked for ketones and they are fine and she isn't feeling un well. I thought bloods would drop on holiday with all the swimming not go up. I'm getting a little worried now. We are carb counting all the food withn the help of the carbs and cal book to as near as we can get it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar always goes up on holiday and I have never fully understood why. If I travel thru time-zones that really messes things up and I suspect the body's time clock just gets confused; are you now in a different time zone? I think all you can do is increase the insulin continuing to check blood sugar. I target 6mmol or lower for the Basal; usually between 4 and 5 in practice and adjust the Bolus by carb counting. I wouldn't worry too much as ketones normally only become a problem when the bloods are in the 20s/30s and the body is in ketosis thru fat burning

Balll01

hi daibell

we're in corfu, i'll just have to keep an eye on it and try and remember for furture holidays that it might go up not down, just a bit of a suprise really as i was expecting hypos not hypers. thanks for your help.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - my sugars tend to shoot up for he first few days (we go to Greece too). I'm on a pump and normally need to increase basal (background) up to 130% on my pump through the day. Sorry - don't know what this would equate to on your pens. After about day 3/4 they start coming down and towards the second half of the holiday I normally have to reduce my basal quite a bit then. So although worrying, it does seem to happen to a few of us on here and you seem to be dong the right things by adjusting little by little.