Holiday in Greece with Freestyle Libre - airports, suncream and sea water!!

sallysquash

Hi
I'm going on holiday to Mykonos next week. I was reluctantly going to leave my Libre at home and go back to finger pricks for a week, but I'm now wondering how others manage - am I able to go through airport security without damaging the sensor - will it stop working or be unreliable?
Can I wear the sensor somewhere else, other than my arm, so that it's not so obvious? I was thinking about putting it on my tummy under my swimsuit so that I wont have to apply suncream to that area.
Has anyone else used it in swimming pools or the sea?
Thanks for your advice.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reactions: Kevin259

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have worn sensors through airport security and in hot climates.

One one occasion I wore the sensor on the upper, outer side of my chest. It was just under my bikini top, towards my armpit. I have also worn a sensor on my tummy , so that it was under my underwear, but I found as I pulled my jeans up and down it would sometimes snag. They worked OK there, but if they had malfunctioned, I doubt Abbott would have been interested in offering support as they were a non-compliant sites.

Enjoy your holiday.

sallysquash

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you declare your sensor while going through the airport security machines? Are you able to use the reader while on the plane? I'm thinking now about putting the sensor over my ribs - that way it wont snag....

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for getting back to me. Do you declare your sensor while going through the airport security machines? Are you able to use the reader while on the plane? I'm thinking now about putting the sensor over my ribs - that way it wont snag....

No, I never mention it.

It's been fine going through the scanner, and I've had a couple of pat-downs too, without even a flicker of an eye-brow as they've felt it on my arm.

I used the reader on the flight without any issue.

Having the sensor on your ribs could work well maybe. The reason I put mine where I did was to avoid the round white part on my arm. If you're not going to be in a two-piece, it sounds ideal. As I say, do me mindful your ribs would be a non-compliant site, but if you're happy enough with that risk, go for it.

Hopefully others will comment. It's been pretty quiet the last couple of days. People must be out enjoying the holiday weekend.

sallysquash

Good morning
Back from a lovely few days in Greece and had absolutely no problems with the Libre Freestyle.
I put the sensor on the skin over my ribs.
I didn't declare it, I went through all the normal airport checks.
I swam and it still worked.
I sunbathed and it still worked.
Thanks so much for your advice.
All the best.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning
Back from a lovely few days in Greece and had absolutely no problems with the Libre Freestyle.
I put the sensor on the skin over my ribs.
I didn't declare it, I went through all the normal airport checks.
I swam and it still worked.
I sunbathed and it still worked.
Thanks so much for your advice.
All the best.

Good news Sally. Glad you have a decent break. I bet you're enjoying the rain today!