1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Holland and Barrett .... Slim range

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by BrianDoc, Aug 1, 2021.

1. BrianDoc

BrianDoc · Active Member

You can only order for home delivery or collection from one of their shops, but they are doing
    Eat water organic slim;
    Rice, noodles, fettuccine, spaghetti and penne pastas

All showing as 0 carbs, and buy one the second is 1p, ordered two of each, fingers crossed they are edible.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I eat the rice or the fettuccine pretty much every day (sometimes the rice for breakfast AND the fettuccine for lunch!) Thank goodness H&B frequently offer this range in their Penny sale, as otherwise I'd have to cut back! I love it that 100g gives 4g fibre as I do regret the lack of fibre in a vlc diet. It's a very long time since I ate real rice or pasta, but this seems to me an excellent imitation. It's a bonus that no cooking is needed - just heating it up if you like your food warm. I use the rice cold with other chia pudding ingredients for breakfast, but pasta warmed up in stock and topped with melting grated cheese for lunch / dinner.

NB many people have been put off completely by the unattractive smell when you open the packet. This is a shame, as the smell comes from the fluid, which is discarded, not from the product you eat. Just rinse thoroughly! Bon appétit!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for your post @Alexandra100 , I have a boxes of the rice and spaghetti in my cupboard I bought as a standby. I have thought about using them several times but have definitely been put off by reports of the smell. I am reassured by your post, ‘spaghetti’ carbonara here I come!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. danziger

danziger Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ooh, this is great to know, thank you! I don’t mind cauli rice but nice to have another option

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Sax

Sax Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried the pasta version recently; drained it, rinsed in cold water, then mixed with some apple cider vinegar, then rinsed again. Maybe 4 mins of prep time. I made sure it was covered in pasta sauce and didn't eat it in isolation. Very slightly rubbery / tougher texture versus true pasta but it eased off over the meal, so I think the sauce helped. No smell or taste weirdness. Overall seems workable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Alexandra100

I did find the penne slightly chewey, so I don't buy that any more, but I haven't had that problem with the fettucine or rice. I never tried the noodles, because I don't like "real" noodles, but I imagine that very thin form of pasta would be even less tough. As for taste, there isn't really any, but then "normal" white rice doesn't taste of much either. I pep up my fettucine by warming it briefly in the stock left in the saucepan from cooking my salmon, cauliflower etc.

7. 1970clea

1970clea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I buy on subscription from the manufacturer: https://eatwater.co.uk/collections/slim-cooking the noodles and spaghetti options are identical. Tried the penne a couple of times but had a bad batch which were very chewy so no longer bother with those - currently a big fan of the slim noodles thai style as they are not as wide as the fettucine but better than the spaghetti.
    They also have a new range no drain no odour, which are okay too. I used to get konjac noodles from the chinese supermarkets before these were so easily available - have been eating these type of noodles for over a decade now!!

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Alexandra100

Very interesting info, thanks. However the no drain no odour rice has 6.95g carbs per 100g, whereas the original version (still also available) has zero carbs per 100g.

9. 1970clea

1970clea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The ones I prefer are in the normal range so I hadn't investigated the carb content of the others - thank you. I don't tend to bother with rice much anyway. With curries there are so many yummy vegetable sides it's not an issue :D

10. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My favourites are fettucine (in stir-fries) and penne, but I don't eat them very often as they have the tendency to go through me rather fast!

11. Yellredder

Yellredder Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I wasn’t so keen on the rice, but quite like the pasta but it’s not something I eat much of. But now I’m fancying some!! Good for some substance in a meal. You really do have to drain it though!!

12. Alexandra100

My attempt to make a kind of savoury pilau rice was a failure. Perhaps kedgeree might work better? But I do enjoy the rice as sweet rice pudding with erythritol and double cream. I shall experiment with adding cinnamon and/or nutmeg, even vanilla essence.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook