1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

holland and barrett

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by heli2010, Jan 4, 2017.

1. heli2010

heli2010 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

went into my local holland and barrett today have been shopping there for years but was searching for chromium the lady asked me "are you diabetic?" yes I replied to which I got sorry we cant sell you anything as its against the law!

anyone else heard of this

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Talking out of her...maybe?

3. Speedbird

Speedbird LADA · Well-Known Member

That's very cheeky. I would have had to say something. Was she medically qualified?

4. heli2010

I did say what! your kidding she replied its the law
    so I have asked their head office to clarify

kind of julia roberts moment in pretty woman

5. dbr10

Many of us would ask if that makes a difference, given the bad advice we get from HCPs

6. dbr10

Good for you. Take no prisoners.

7. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I often shop in Holland and Barrett and have never heard that : O If anything, I'd imagine it's the opposite - ie against the law not to sell something just because the purchaser has diabetes as it could be discrimination.

I can see they might advise someone to check with their doctor, but I doubt it's "against the law".

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. leking

leking Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What does it help with?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ellagy

ellagy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they have to have a notice up saying that they wouldn't sell to anyone who is Diabetic?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 992947x

992947x Type 3c · Active Member

Disability Discrimination?

11. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Now I am usually a cynical type, but what if H&B was on your side? What if we are entitled to buy it VAT free but they dont have the forms?

...............Nah, I'll stay cynical.
    I think that is a staff member scared of their own shadow

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nicksu

Nicksu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Never heard the like!

Well I've just been in there to stock up on my chromium picolinate and never got asked a question at all! Sounds like balderdash to me (either that or covering their behinds!). Sad sad sad!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Cheeky madam! :wideyed::wideyed: If she'd asked me that, I'd have asked her "WHY??"

I sometimes use H&B online but have never been asked to jump through such a hoop. The only times (again online) I've needed to identify myself as diabetic is for VAT exemption purposes on diabetic products.

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scouser58

Scouser58 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello heli2010,,,well I have shopped there so many times,,and never heard of this load of tripe,,,well to help diabetes, you need to have Chromium Picolinate,,this was featured in their own Healthy magazine.about the Chromium supplement,,it was written by Dr.Carina Norris. The article featured a study were the people took 600ug,dose,,,,I took the H&B dose of200ug each day,,,and I felt my blood sugar readings go down and I had my first 'hypo sensations' while taking it,,,I stopped when the hospital doctor changed my other meds,,,but I am still considering going back to it,,,,
    H&B has said that their staff have had a re-training on their products and they are now better trained to help with questions and helpful advise,,,I think that staff member has missed some training,,,,I would go back and find out what she meant,, and if she is not the shop manager,,ask to speak to that person,,,and see what they say,,,,and if you shop there a lot they have their own loyalty card,,,were you vouchers for lots of money off their products,,and money voucher, when the points add up,,,nice little shopping treat,,,,good luck with going back,,,ttfn from Karen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. zacthedog

zacthedog Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not as stupid as it sounds, they are only protecting their best interestas, if what you were after has any reported bad effect with diabetes then they sell it to a diabetic who has a bad reaction you could sue them for mal practice. I refused to sell an extension lead to a lady who while u was serving mentioned she was using it on a fish pond to power the filtration pumps, to which i had to explain now i know what she is doing with it i was now unable to sell it to her! Same thing unfortunatly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. heli2010

the phrase used was its against the law I could lose my job not am I aware of how to use the product and any potential side effects with diabetes
    I would have explained to the lady that the cable was not fit for purpose unless she enclosed the socket end in an IP44 enclosure and had a 30ma RCD at the plug end

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

the H&B Chromium GTF that they sell is called Glucose Tolerance Factor for a reason. It is not against the law to sell such a supplement, but it may be a company policy breach if they make a recommendation to take it for such and such a purpose ( i,e, making a medical claim for its properties. They should draw your attention to possible glycaemic effects, as is normally stated anyway on the packaging.

BTW. Do I detect an engineering background here?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. heli2010

That you do, which probably explains my current frustration that given the massive leap in technology over the past 40 years but still have no clue on common illnesses

• Like Like x 1
  19. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

As a former Aerospace designer I too felt frustrated that technology was often held back by managers, and accountants, and I fear that the NHS has too many of those.

• Like Like x 2
  20. knoxy55

knoxy55 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi - I was with my Diabetic Professional Nurse about 2 weeks ago and asked about taking this product, as she was unsure she spoke to the lead Doctor for Diabetes and was told that this type of tablet CAN interact with blood sugar. However I was told to try it for 6 weeks until my next appointment is due and they will see what is happening to my blood sugars. It's a case of better being safe than sorry. Ask you health provider the next time you are in with them.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook