Home from hospital tomorrow......

jasperc

After 8 days in hospital it's home tomorrow to face the reality of diabetes for my 9 year old and I'm terrified :(
Feel overwhelmed with the thought of coping with injections and measuring insulin on my own..... Help......

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Aaawww you know, its the unknown that's the scariestand I'm sure you will do great. It's daunting at first, but with time and with experience both of you will get through it. Wishing you both a trouble free weekend and a great half-term.

What lies behind us and what lies before us, is nothing compared to what lies within us.

all the best RRB x

jayne15

you will be fine take one day at a time (we were discharged after 4 hours of diagnosis eek !) your son will amaze you My daughter 7 was injecting and doing all her own BM's within a week, we used a reward chart to achieve this. Practice with the insulin and even if you have to bin some attempts it doesnt matter- I am a nurse and I was petrified even though I had done this task on many patients its completely different on your own child- a new pair of glasses so that I could actually see the tiny markings we got there, My 70 year old mum does the insulin sometimes- which believe me was a major achievement.

good luck and keep in touch.

carb-counting-mum

You will be fine, honestly! We spent a week in the hospital with our 8-year-old daughter, and we too were scared when we went home. My husband said it reminded him a little of bringing our first baby home from the hospital :)
You have all the experts around you, telling you what to do...then suddenly you are flying solo. It WILL be alright, I promise. I presume you have a diabetes nurse you can contact 24/7? If you are ever in doubt, just phone them. Asking people on here will reassure you too. You'll probably be shattered from the worrying and the sleepless nights in the hospital. I found that the most difficult part to be honest. I felt really exhausted and emotional. My lovely friend made us a cottage pie when we got home, as she thought we didn't fancy cooking. I felt so grateful and burst into tears!
Take care of yourself, don't worry about the house work etc. You'll do a fantastic job, I'm sure.
x

victorhill

hi
just a very small tip make sure the school.
knows also
just a possible a friend who goes to school or who is in her class to keep an eye on any change of moods or indeed going low ,
also a very good blood sugar machine that the young lady can check her own bllod sugar levels and some glucose or fast acting gel that can be taken .
but all i can say is let her learn and just take a note of what the nurse or docs say

good health i missed six months of school l when i first got diabetes due to being in hospital but i am now 55 years on still alive and kicking
just take it very slow and do small changes in food keep note s on insulin ask food and excise when taken part in sport reduce insulin or put up food carbs intake
vic

maxies-mom

carb-counting-mum said:
You will be fine, honestly! We spent a week in the hospital with our 8-year-old daughter, and we too were scared when we went home. My husband said it reminded him a little of bringing our first baby home from the hospital :)
You have all the experts around you, telling you what to do...then suddenly you are flying solo. It WILL be alright, I promise.

I completely agree. Once you have your AHA moment that it is all just a series of protocols, the fear lifts and management steps in. It has been 2 weeks for us and already feels like second nature. We will make mistakes, we will have hellish lows and euphoric highs, we wont always be perfect. BUT for our kids we are exactly what they need. I have yet to meet a SugarMomma who isn't precisely and perfectly cut out for this insane roller coaster ride.

We are all here and all here for each other. Sending you a HUGE hug all the way from our forest and holding you close in my heart. You will get through this and you will be absolutely fine. Your child will amaze and astound you. You will see the good and ride through the bad. And if you need a friend who knows but exactly how you feel, just shout. My advice is **** but I give great hug, even if it just in spirit.

Much love
Philly

jayne15

thats good advise about school victorhill Meg did a ' show and tell' on diabetes on her first day back and her friends often tell the teachers if shes not right one friend recognized a hypo of 2.1 last week cos meg was tearful in the playground she went and told the teacher and she was right. The teachers have got very good at recognizing when shes not right also if she is too busy to notice the signs herself.

fractureman

Best thing for hypo is the small carton of uht juice. They have 20g of sugar in are easy to drink when low & solve the prob good. Don't forget you will need complex carbs as well at same time to prevent sugar levels dropping. Am sure you'll be fine I didn't get diagnosed till 19 still learning now at 36 ;)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
jasperc said:
After 8 days in hospital it's home tomorrow to face the reality of diabetes for my 9 year old and I'm terrified :(
Feel overwhelmed with the thought of coping with injections and measuring insulin on my own..... Help......

Hello .
Hope you are all okay / back home safe :)

Please dont worry or panic alone .
The fantastic parents and younger members here will give you lots of support .
Just ask any question you feel or need to ...
Someone will pop along and help support you and your 9 year old.

We understand how scary and alone you can feel with this...
Please be reassured that others understand and 'know' how things can be for you both.
Your 9year old will suprise you - showing remarkable skills and tollerance as time go's by ...
It will never take away a mother's worry or concerns for your precious child .
Life will be a learning curve with the diabetes now , you will 'both' adapt quickly and find
your way to cope very well .
As one poster already says it 'will' become second nature to you both .

Hope you both enjoy being back home today - as home 'is' where the heart is :thumbup:
I know there is much to take in and remember, loads to get to grips with...
It will soon begin to make sense and become part of your daily/night routines.

Much love and thoughts to you both.

Anna.

Very lost 101212

Reading your post takes me back 9 weeks ago when my son was diagnosed.

I was PETRIFIED of the word Hypo! Will he recognize the signs? Will I be quick enough? Will I be panicking? Will he pass out?

You know what...yes the first ones will be the ones you stress over the most...then you cope with them as will your child as that's the only way. They are not as bad as our imagination...so please take a deep breath...you will be ok through it. X

jayne15

Hi jasperc hope all went well today and hope you get some well deserved rest. I am thinking of you all - keep in touch with how things are going.

CambridgeLass

We were given a crash course and sent home the same day. I was very nervous. Hubby went to work and my son went to nursery. I am so thankful for that day at home together for us both to adjust. The DNS called every day for the first week, and I also called when a couple of times when I was worried about a reading. I think the teams have an induction plan for newbies, first week daily contact, weekly visits for the first month, down to 2 weekly and so on. But they should always be someone avialble if you need help at any time. By day 3 my daughter was back at school. We did the show and tell thing too. She had the kids book and took it in with her hospital being brave sticker chart and told the class about what happned and what diabetes was. The kids wanted to know when they could do her injections :) By week two I was writing down questions to take to clinic which was really useful. I really recommend this as I had lots of questions as I went along and discovered/read new things. It's too much to take in at once. It'll all come gradually. x

michelereid2002

Take one step at a time everything will fall into place it will be scarey at first as long as your child aint affraid of needles that will be a bonus make a game of the blood sugars making it a guessing game higher or lower and also hospitals just a call away