mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi, I was diagnosed T1 about a year ago or so. Had a positive GAD antibody test. Currently basal/bolus, approx 1 unit per 10g of carbs. My consultant said I'm probably still in a honeymoon phase/period. My pancreas is still producing some insulin. Up until now, I have had very good control. In fact, sometimes I feel a little guilty as I've found diabetes almost too easy. I've not really adjusted my diet a great deal, still drink beer, no complications and never experienced a hypo. My question is, if I'm injecting insulin, and my pancreas is still producing insulin, why is it so easy to control ? how come I've never had a hypo ? Not that I'm complaining, just curious.
I recently had a DVLA medical for my LGV license and the doctor even suggested speaking to my doctor and having a controlled hypo on purpose, to know what it feels like ! I was quite surprised at this suggestion. What do you think ?
Many thanks, Mo

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a strange one! The honeymoon period is the main reason I have hypos, it just gives an added complication.

However, I've never had a "bad" one. I feel better after about 10 minutes and can carry on as usual. So maybe the honeymoon is doing something else to us to keep us from going mega low?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed T1, I spent 2 weeks in hospital being stabilised and they made sure I had a hypo on the last morning so that I knew what to look out for after I left. They basically gave me my insulin and waited until I had hypo symptoms before giving me breakfast. So I guess as long as you are being observed it would be a good thing to experience a 'controlled' hypo.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks for replies, I guess a controlled hypo may not be a bad idea then. I'll speak to my doc. Still intrigued over the doubling of insulin though ( injected and my own ) and why I never go low.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mo1905 said:
What do you think ?

I'm almost certain you'll know when you have one Mo but I do think it's a good idea to induce one under medical supervision if time wil allows with your gp, like Robert I was admitted to hospital for a week when first diagnosed and wasn't allowed home until I'd had a hypo, still remember it like it was yesterday!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks again. I have emailed my nurse to ask her thoughts. The more I think about it, the more I agree better to experience one in controlled conditions. Still thinks it's a little odd I'vd never had one up til now !

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only spent 2 hours in hospital so my first hypo was at home alone. Much better to go through it with someone there to talk you through it!

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughters 9 ,she didn't have a hypo for months and it was very mild now she has them most days ,mild ones.her carb ratio 1 in 20 carbs for most meals she still in honeymoon period we think ,sometimes we get days of highs when were just about to adjust her ratios then she goes back to lows! My nurses theory is when using insulin it give beta cells a rest .when they start dying off your bloods become high, you have more insulin to control this ,then the remaining cells rest again then start working causing too much insulin. so ratios have to change again or hypos occur hope this makes sence x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Shell1 said:
My daughters 9 ,she didn't have a hypo for months and it was very mild now she has them most days ,mild ones.her carb ratio 1 in 20 carbs for most meals she still in honeymoon period we think ,sometimes we get days of highs when were just about to adjust her ratios then she goes back to lows! My nurses theory is when using insulin it give beta cells a rest .when they start dying off your bloods become high, you have more insulin to control this ,then the remaining cells rest again then start working causing too much insulin. so ratios have to change again or hypos occur hope this makes sence x

Thanks Shell, yes it makes perfect sense. However, it's never happened to me. That's my point. I agree with you and think they should be more varied, highs and lows etc but I don't ! Maybe I am talking too soon and I'll start losing control lol !

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Enjoy while it last !!x not sure if I wud recommend having a controlled one ?we were so scared of Chloe's first one panicking everyday and when she had it she knew she felt different checked blood and was 3.8 easy brought back and panic over as long as u checking often when you do get one it shud be easy to put back right . If it plays on your mind worrying about how they feel then maybe do it if it reassures you

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Enjoy while it last !!x not sure if I wud recommend having a controlled one ?we were so scared of Chloe's first one panicking everyday and when she had it she knew she felt different checked blood and was 3.8 easy brought back and panic over as long as u checking often when you do get one it shud be easy to put back right . If it plays on your mind worrying about how they feel then maybe do it if it reassures you

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a couple, mainly after/during excercise and on holiday when everything was different to normal. I'd have thought you'd know it when you have one.

As for honeymoon period, I'm wondering if my own insulin production is varying up and down at the moment as I'm finding my insulin needs can vary. I started off at around 20:1, now nearer 15:1, but sometimes varying either way, and then throw in the complications of sport. General BG starting to drift up a bit as well from where I want it.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
ElyDave said:
I've had a couple, mainly after/during excercise and on holiday when everything was different to normal. I'd have thought you'd know it when you have one.

As for honeymoon period, I'm wondering if my own insulin production is varying up and down at the moment as I'm finding my insulin needs can vary. I started off at around 20:1, now nearer 15:1, but sometimes varying either way, and then throw in the complications of sport. General BG starting to drift up a bit as well from where I want it.
I've recently gone from 1 unit to 15g to 1 to 10g. I still hardly have highs or lows though. I know I'm probably lucky but I feel guilty sometimes lol ! I read on the forum how other have nightmares controlling their levels and I just find it odd.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you haven't had a hypo what has been your lowest BG? I hypo about once a fortnight, usually from hidden exercise over a prolonged period such as ironing or hoovering.

My hypos are "mild". Rarely lower than 3.6. I've have 2.6 twice but that was in the beginning when they started me off on fixed doses that were miles too high.

I take 1 unit per 16g, but I split it down to 0.5 units for greater accuracy

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
hale710 said:
If you haven't had a hypo what has been your lowest BG? I hypo about once a fortnight, usually from hidden exercise over a prolonged period such as ironing or hoovering.

My hypos are "mild". Rarely lower than 3.6. I've have 2.6 twice but that was in the beginning when they started me off on fixed doses that were miles too high.

I take 1 unit per 16g, but I split it down to 0.5

My lowest up til now is 3.9 but that was a one off. The majority are between 6 and 9. units for greater accuracy

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aiming to be between 6 and 9 could be why? I aim for 4.5 to 7 which leaves me open to the odd hypo! I don't always achieve that though haha

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
hale710 said:
Aiming to be between 6 and 9 could be why? I aim for 4.5 to 7 which leaves me open to the odd hypo! I don't always achieve that though haha

Oh I don't aim for 6-9, it just seems to end up that way. I aim for lower and count carbs and if I am a little higher before eating, I'll add a little to compensate. Still doesn't go low. I just get confused that whilst I take extra insulin, and my pancreas still makes a little, why I don't go lower. Strange, guess I'll just have to live with it ! Thanks for replies.
Mo

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
My doctor told me to stop insulin due to the frequent lows as i have entered honeymoon period & asked me to take metformin twice. Is that right???

If your BG levels are not rising then I'd say yes. It's not uncommon for the pancreas to kick in for a bit. The metformin will just help your body to make the most out of your own insulin. Keep testing though as the honeymoon period can stop without warning.