Honeymoon Period....Confusing !!

anuja

Hi my daughter 8 yrs old who was diagnosed in feb this year is in her honeymoon period now....she is on half unit Levemir in the night.No novorapid...she was on one unit Levemir till last week...but she started having hypos during lunch times so DSN advised to decrease it to half unit.Now she goes high after every meal to say 11 post meals.I am not sure if I should give her novorapid or not...she does come down to 4-5 in few hrs ...like in night she goes to bed with a level of 9 (2 hrs post dinner) and sometimes goes till 15 during night but comes down to 5 by 7:00am ...I am now confused if her honeymoon period has ended....or is it just because we hv decreased her lev to half units....any advice ??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think your best bet is to speak with your daughters diabetes team in the morning about her bg readings and insulin usage, as your child is so young I wouldn't like to advise you on insulin doses.

slimtony

Hi,

Something to discuss with your DSN is the possibility of using Levemir twice daily instead of once. Half a unit in the morning and half a unit at night will give a better, more even spread than the 1 unit dose that you were using previously, and it's also likely to stop the bedtime highs that you're seeing while using the single half unit dose.

I suspect that you're seeing the bedtime rises because the current single half unit dose isn't providing enough overlap with the next dose. Although a half unit split dose will put her back on a 1 unit total daily dose, the fact that the dose is split morning/night should minimise the hypo problem that you had previously while using the 1 unit total daily dose. Or at least that's the theory.

Good luck.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
check with the diabetes team, sounds like her insulin amounts need tweaking. also keep a food/insulin diary if your not already doing it. that will help them

anuja

Thanks for your reply.I was also thinking of putting her back to 1 unit Levemir atleast till she's at home during half term.Her levels are usually high now a days after every meal ....around 8-9 even 3-4 hours after meals....her average has gone up to 8.5 from 7.2 ...this has prevented her from going into hypos which is good as she was getting into hypo unawareness before.But now I am worried about her high levels....I will definitely heck with DSN about the split dose...I have also heard about it....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App