Honeymoon period! Enough already!

twinkle1980

Hiya everyone

Really struggling lately to keep my levels under control. I am carb counting but my ratios are all over the place so its almost futile! I seem to change sensitivity (?) on a daily basis (like every meal), so I am wobbling between hypers and hypos.

The first few weeks after diagnosis I managed to get myself into a nice routine and knew my ratios... now its all over the shop! I've kept a diary but there is no pattern emerging. I have got a stinking cold, but this issue has been around since before I was poorly, it just seems a bit worse right now.

Anyone else had the same issue?

Oh and in case your wondering (as I dont post frequently anymore) I'm female, 32, Type 1 (confirmed with gad and one of the others - name escapes me), and diagnosed Christmas eve 2012.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So annoying Twinkle, all I can suggest is you speak with your DSN and discuss your bg readings and insulin doses.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar issue about 6 weeks ago and my DSN helped me out big time. The honeymoon period is meant to be the easiest time for control so it's best to get things sorted now!

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Its difficult isn't it, i feel your pain! I'm also pregnant and my insulin needs increase every few days, however it seems when i increase it, 2 days later my pancreas must have abit of a boost, and i will need to reduce for a day, then the cycle starts again, nightmare!
All i can say is hang in there, it has to become easier x

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The thing i am greatful for with this honeymoon lark, is i haven't gone into DKA yet, lol, so i suppose my pancreas has some use for now, even though it can't make its mind up whether it wants to work or not..

clarke8828

Hi,

I think unfortunately during this honeymoon period the blood sugars can be all over the place. In some ways the honeymoon period is good but in others ways it just makes it harder to know what your body is doing.

I am quite new on here but my daughter who is 11 was diagnosed 1st march 2013, she is now going through the honeymoon period and her blood sugars are following a similar pattern. Everyday its different, she hasn't needed any of her humolog for days now with meals and her glargine is now down to 1u but then the other morning she wakes with a bm of 1.6 and now tonight she is going to bed on a bm of 16.6 its just so hard.

I saw the diabetic dietician earlier and she said that i shouldnt worry about carb counting during this period as at the minute the carb ratios are 1u to every 50g but often her blood sugars are low so i dont give her the unit and this works well most of the time but then tonight her body obviously has decided not to give out enough insulin. I just wish i could tell what it was going to do each time.

Thats prob no help at all but really just wanted you to know that there are others in the same boat. My daughter also has the GAD and islet antibodies.

Good luck x