1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Honeymoon period without insulin

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by Scoobyzoo, May 11, 2014.

1. Scoobyzoo

Scoobyzoo Parent · Well-Known Member

Hi, has anyone ever stopped taking insulin during the honeymoon period?
    Aged 12 diagnosed a Type 1 seven weeks ago and taken off all insulin as it was causing hypos.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

It's quite common to not need insulin whilst in "honeymoon phase". Your pancreas can be intermittently producing insulin but this may be sporadic. It can be difficult to control BG levels during this period due to inconsistent action of pancreas. Test regularly and if reduced carb diet is adhered to, this phase can sometimes be prolonged. Unfortunately, the honeymoon phase eventually leads to the need to inject insulin. This can be a few months to a few years.

3. sunday

sunday Parent · Active Member

My daughter (also 12 when diagnosed) never had honeymoon at all. So enjoy the time with no insulin. Time will come back when you need it.

4. saraelbanaxx

saraelbanaxx · Active Member

When i read about it, i realised that i have been on the honeymoon peroid. I believe that i have fooled myself into thinking that i am not diabetic and that it was a mistake.

5. Scoobyzoo

Are you still and how long have you been in the honeymoon period??

6. saraelbanaxx

I believe i am still in it. And i believe i was on it a few days after diagnosis

7. Scoobyzoo

Do you take any insulin currently? Have you ever come of it for a period of time?

8. saraelbanaxx

I currently take novamix30,but because i was in denial about having diabetes, i struggle to take it before 'breakfast' and dinner. I usually skip breakfast. I also struggle with pricking my finger to test for it because i have convinced myself that i didnt need to. But i now know that it wasnt a smart move...

9. saraelbanaxx

I also stopped taking 3months after diagnosis

10. saraelbanaxx

Untill recently,i am trying to get back on track as i have now been aware it was a honeymoon phase. Which my doxtors or diabetes team told me nothing about.

11. Scoobyzoo

We were told about it straight away however I wasn't expecting her to come off insulin all together. She has the most random blood sugars, yesterday she got up with a 7.0 at lunch it was 4.7 and 2 hrs after it was 3.8. Strange thing is when she had her dinner 2 hrs later it was 3.6 so basically her blood sugar didn't increase after her dinner. She gets days like this and then others where the blood sugars will be 8.0 all day.

12. saraelbanaxx

I dont know. I am new to this. But try having carbs with lunch if the bs levels are low. Its all about balance. I was told by my parents who both have diabetes type2,that treat it as your friend and it will go easy, treat it as an enemy and it will be your worst nightmare. I also think it is about what you eat. If u eat no carbs, ur bs levels wont increase.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook