honeymoon period

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, new to this forum so bare with me. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago when i was admitted to hospital, high sugars and off the chart ketones. Was on sliding scale drip and was told after three days to have 16 lantus and 6 nova rapid with each meal. I was ok for the first few weeks and then started having constant hypos. Learned the carb counting regime and have now reduced my insulin to 0 lantus and 2,4, and 6 units for b/fast, lunch and tea. still on this little insulin but still have a daily hypo, usually at mid day. have tried reducing my lunch insulin but any less im 10+ 2 hours after. Have read a little bit about the honeymoon period but was wondering if any other people have had this and how long it lasted. My morning levels with no Lantus are usually 7-8

Reactions: 2 people

AMBrennan

Yep, had the same - Lantus down to 3u/day with NIL/1/1u Humalog for meals (plus able to have large Starbucks frappuchinos with no effect on BG whatsoever). I was diagnosed in July and the doses have only just come back to "normal" in December.

iHs

brett said:
Hi everyone, new to this forum so bare with me. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago when i was admitted to hospital, high sugars and off the chart ketones. Was on sliding scale drip and was told after three days to have 16 lantus and 6 nova rapid with each meal. I was ok for the first few weeks and then started having constant hypos. Learned the carb counting regime and have now reduced my insulin to 0 lantus and 2,4, and 6 units for b/fast, lunch and tea. still on this little insulin but still have a daily hypo, usually at mid day. have tried reducing my lunch insulin but any less im 10+ 2 hours after. Have read a little bit about the honeymoon period but was wondering if any other people have had this and how long it lasted. My morning levels with no Lantus are usually 7-8

Hello Brett

Are you calculating your bolus insulin using an insulin to carb ratio and if so, you probably will find that you will benefit from being able to adminster insulin using a 0.5u insulin pen and adjusting your ratio.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Brett!

I was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago. I have LADA and am still producing some of my own insulin -less than I was I think, but enough to throw insulin doses all over the place sometimes. I'm on an intermediate acting basal (insuman) and I find that 2 units before bed deals with the overnight rise and 4 units in the morning covers my low-carb lunch. Breakfast sometimes needs a 1 unit Apidra and tea I cover with Apidra. Insuman just supplements my own basal but it has a 4 - 6 hour peak that you don't get from the lantus and levemir basals, so it covers my lunch without any rapid-acting.

I agree with the previous poster that you should ask for a half unit pen for your rapid-acting. It makes a big difference when you're on such small doses.

Smidge

wsmum

My son was diagnosed back in March and like you went down to almost no insulin. Gradually levels have come back up and now he's on 10 lantus and ratio 1:10 for Novorapid. The half unit pen was definitely useful - could have done with one for lantus too but I don't think they're available? The honeymoon can be a bit of a pain because it's unpredictable. Sometimes your own pancreas decides to do a brief squirt and sometimes it doesn't ... Hang on in there as it does seem to steady out after a while.