"Honeymoon" period

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes 3-4 weeks ago. At hospital I was given insuline , but when I went home I always had hypo after taking insuline. I reduced the dose but it was still happening. And finally after few days i stopped using any kind of insuline (both Lantus and Apidra). I asked my doctor and he said that it isn't problem and that is normal in first period after diagnosing type 1. I am very responsible with my food and I train a lot. But my question is how will I know that my honeymoon without insuline stopped ? How will I know that I have to use insuline again ?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will know when your honeymoon period is at an end when you readings start coming out higher. This is when you will need to start taking more insulin again.
Keep an eye on your glucose levels, it could be weeks, months or in some cases years.
If you are sensible with your diet and exercise a lot then you may still only need to take lower amounts of insulin.
I'm surprised you don't still have to take a small amount of basal insulin but I guess if your training a lot then the insulin you are still producing must be enough.
Type 1 diabetes is not easy, make sure you read what you can and ask plenty of questions on here and of your health team.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your bg readings will tell you when the time has arrived, monitor them closely mind and don't become complacent.

Kelsie

I am a year now since diagnosis and even now only have two units of back ground insulin and inject nova rapid only when at breakfast and tea when eating more than 40g of carbs. I am still even after a year v insulin sensitive and the DSN said to me that it's as a result of my daily high intensity training, active job and good diet. If I didn't train daily or have the active job that I do then I would probably be on a lot higher insulin doses. Exercise is fantastic for type one diabetics :) keep up your exercise!

Reactions: 4 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a year now since diagnosis and even now only have two units of back ground insulin and inject nova rapid only when at breakfast and tea when eating more than 40g of carbs. I am still even after a year v insulin sensitive and the DSN said to me that it's as a result of my daily high intensity training, active job and good diet. If I didn't train daily or have the active job that I do then I would probably be on a lot higher insulin doses. Exercise is fantastic for type one diabetics :) keep up your exercise!

I was the same, my BI was 2.5 units until 14 months after diagnosis. Even now it's still only 7.1u but my doctors says my honeymoon has ended. I have just started on the pump and my carb to insulin ratio is 1:32 at some points in the day.

Like Kelsie I try to keep myself quite active and it reduces my insulin needs. Although I have a desk job I will exercise before and after work. It makes a world of difference!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was the same, my BI was 2.5 units until 14 months after diagnosis. Even now it's still only 7.1u but my doctors says my honeymoon has ended. I have just started on the pump and my carb to insulin ratio is 1:32 at some points in the day.

Like Kelsie I try to keep myself quite active and it reduces my insulin needs. Although I have a desk job I will exercise before and after work. It makes a world of difference!

So many people say exercise helps them, it's always been my Achilles Heel and I always seem to hypo.
Thats my next goal for getting something right with diabetes, running around after a two year old can cause issues at times.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So many people say exercise helps them, it's always been my Achilles Heel and I always seem to hypo.
Thats my next goal for getting something right with diabetes, running around after a two year old can cause issues at times.

I don't seem to hypo during exercise, it is usually in the hours after wards! I have to remember to snack. I started on the pump on Monday so I'm hoping that will help a bit!

Reactions: 3 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't seem to hypo during exercise, it is usually in the hours after wards! I have to remember to snack. I started on the pump on Monday so I'm hoping that will help a bit!

Yeah I'm usually just afterwards.
I am a Cub Leader and the amount of times I hypo after doing anything with them is unbelievable.
I hope your pump is going well. I have been approved since March but apparently there is no funding at the moment so I'm on a waiting list of two. It's frustrating knowing that I've been approved but not getting one. Starting to find MDI a right pain.

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you on your answers.I only can hope it will last as long as possible

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Hi Kelsie... its great to hear you do so well with exercise and keeping your insulin use low... I'm pretty sure I'm about to be started on insulin at my next apt (in honeymoon phase atm but think I'm coming out of it...) - and I currently always go high after exercise, not low... do you know if that's cos I don't yet use insulin and should this change once I start..? I'm frustrated that I haven't been able to exercise much recently cos of it pushing my numbers up, not down...

Kelsie

Hi Kelsie... its great to hear you do so well with exercise and keeping your insulin use low... I'm pretty sure I'm about to be started on insulin at my next apt (in honeymoon phase atm but think I'm coming out of it...) - and I currently always go high after exercise, not low... do you know if that's cos I don't yet use insulin and should this change once I start..? I'm frustrated that I haven't been able to exercise much recently cos of it pushing my numbers up, not down...

What type of exercise is it that you do? And how long for? As weights/short intense burst exercise increases your sugar levels due to adrenalin. Do you test before & during? Weight/circuits increases mine so I sometimes have to have one unit to increase my sensitivity :)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What type of exercise is it that you do? And how long for? As weights/short intense burst exercise increases your sugar levels due to adrenalin. Do you test before & during? Weight/circuits increases mine so I sometimes have to have one unit to increase my sensitivity :)

I have tried *all sorts* - at first I could do power yoga and it was fine; since then I've tried running, sprinting, weights - and all make my numbers rise.... even power yoga does now too - I assume from my diminishing insulin levels...? :(

The only thing that lowers me now is walking.... i can walk for miles and stay good / see lower results :)

- It's the one thing I hope I'll be able to build up again if/when I'm on insulin - as at the moment it's not very motivating to exercise when it makes me worse... good to know a unit should help though! :)