Hope

Deano001

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I have only been a member since yesterday. My 6 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 on Monday. At this moment I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. 4 blood sugar tests per day and 4 injections, however it's 8 injections in my sons eyes. I need some hope that this is not going to last forever Does anyone have any information about possible alternatives. I've seen libre patches etc, however I'm not sure if kids are allowed them also pumps. What about the artificial pancreas??. Stem cells?, anything please. Thanks in advance.

SamSam26

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I have only been a member since yesterday. My 6 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 on Monday. At this moment I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. 4 blood sugar tests per day and 4 injections, however it's 8 injections in my sons eyes. I need some hope that this is not going to last forever Does anyone have any information about possible alternatives. I've seen libre patches etc, however I'm not sure if kids are allowed them also pumps. What about the artificial pancreas??. Stem cells?, anything please. Thanks in advance.
Hello and welcome. I am only 3 weeks in after my 13 yr old son was diagnosed with T1 and it is all a bit of a steep learning curve but quickly getting into a routine (although he is older than your boy). Don't feel qualified at this stage to give any real advice other than to offer moral support. The advice people have given me on here has been really useful and supportive and I am sure they will help you out loads. There is also a forum for parents on here (have a look on the main list) but I tend to lurk on the T1 page at the mo. best wishes Sam

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome, even if your son is doing well and coming to terms with it or if he isn't coping too well, it can be such an emotional roller coaster for all the family.
You and the child are not to blame for the diagnosis, as some feel it's there fault, so you musn't beat yourself up about it. It's a learmimg curve and there may be some blips along the way. It can be a huge shock to some families also scary too. I know from experience wih my little granddaughter.
Honestly, there is light at the end of the tunnel and as I have mentioned many times before, kids are tough little cookies and type 1's can have a healthly, happy and an active life.
Just take each day at a time and try to look positivly to the future.
Any diabetes management/control should be discussed with his Diabetes team.
As for a cure, we all live in hope and I, personally, believe it will come one day.:joyful:

Don't be disheartend and try to keep your chin up, good luck.

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Deano.

Echo what RRB has said, there is light at the end of the tunnel and advances are being made into stem cell research and the artificial pancreas, which will hopefully lead to the end of insulin injections, but for now you should ask your sons diabetes team if they fund CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitors) and ask enquire about an insulin pump he if hates injecting.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A diagnosis of type 1 can be a real shock, particularly in one so young as your son. Googling alone won't show up many positive stories, so I am glad you have found this forum, where people have success stories to share and support to offer.

Try reading this story of Janet Rae who was diagnosed at the age of 1 year 9 months, over 80 years ago - as the article points out longer than the NHS has existed. I think this is a very positive story, and it might help with your search for hope.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/Scotland/Connect/Connect-Winter-2013-website.pdf