Hormones and blood sugar levels

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Good Morning,

I hope this is the right place to post about hormones, warning - this post is about ladies things!

So I stopped taking the combined contraceptive pill end of last year, after 20 years of being on it. Since then, I've had various changes in my health, mainly digestive. At first, I did not point them to stopping the pill, as they didn't necessarily feel hormone related. However, I have recently being considering the possibility that this could be the case. I am waiting for a test for hormonal profile (thyroid is all fine). But, my query is, if my hormone levels are out of whack, would that effect my blood sugar readings? For example, my fasting readings have been very good (normally they aren't), but my after meal readings are worse later in the day (normally they are o.k). I eat well but do not eat high carb starchy or sweet foods, essentially low carb and fairly high fat, moderate protein. I have noticed my digestion had been extremely sluggish of late, but I don't know if that's caused by or causing hormone problems. My main concern is the shift in after meal readings after a day of fairly low carb eating, i.e they are higher than normal at bedtime.

Am very confused and hope someone can help me shed a bit of light on this please, thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loads of women in peri & menopause (which can begin as early as the late 30's for many) notice blood sugar fluctuations and digestive issues. The problem seems to be not so much the dropping estrogen as the wild fluctuations that occur - much like the peaks/drops cause many of the symptoms for diabetics I guess. Unfortunately this can also make hormone testing pretty unreliable because much like blood sugar testing they will only offer a snap shot of what is happening at that minute on that day.

Wish I could be more help to you :)