Hospital or Dr's Appointments - Time off.

Scottie0013

I had 3rd toe amputated at my local hospital and contracted MRSA they then skin grafted my foot whilst I still had the infection as a result my foot didn't heal went for 2nd opinion to (Hospital name removed) London due to the time laspse I had to have my 2nd,4th & 5th toes amputated after being off work for 10 months I returned to normal duties [line manager with independant living/learning difficulties,] in may last year my employer was great no probs attending London, I fell over on 6th July when out with one of my clients and caused my great toe some damage it still hasn't healed there is no infrction in the bone,skin or blood & been on antibiotics since then, my manager announced to me on tues of this week that they now want me to pay back the time I have to have off to attend my appointments by coming in early and or staying late to complete my workload, there was never any problems with medical appointments previously, are they allowed to do this after all us diabetics with type one need the appointments to ensure we remain able to carry on with day to day living, I have had diabetes for 50 years
any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Re: Hospital Appointments

How much time does he want you to make up ??
was an arrangement made before to make up time if any ??

As i understand it you are allowed unpaid leave for medical appointments and treatment
unless your contract says paid leave :)

Time as an inpatient would be classed as off sick
So would laying in bed at home recovering is classed as off sick both need a sick note
so no need to make that time up at all

If you have a union Rep call them or go to CAB if this is a large firm try HR

Quote from Employment_Advocacy_Pack link end of page

Under the terms of the Disability Discriminations Act

Employer has to consider reasonable adjustments – what does
that mean?
Many people with diabetes have no problems at work. The employer may not even know that
they have diabetes. The Equality Act states that employers have to make reasonable adjustments
(changes) to enable people with disabilities to work and to prevent people with a disability from
being put at a substantial disadvantage.
Reasonable adjustments can take many different forms and there is no set list of what
adjustments might be, as they have to be reasonable for the particular situation. For many
people, a few minor adjustments are all that is needed. Depending on the circumstances,
examples of reasonable adjustments (changes) might be:

* providing necessary equipment
* altering working hours (eg flexi time, job share, starting later or finishing earlier)
* modifying duties
* transferring to a suitable vacancy
* allowing time off (eg for treatment, assessment, rehabilitation).
* alterations to premises (eg ramps, disabled toilets, reserved parking spaces)
* changing practices, policies and procedures (such as allowing people a break to eat a
* snack or accommodating a higher level of sickness absence).

What is disability leave?
Disability leave is paid time off work for a reason related to someone’s disability. It is different
from sick leave, and includes time when an employee is absent from work for a disability-related
reason. It may be for a long or short period of time, and may or may not be pre-planned.
Disability leave can be a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act. However not all disabled
employees will have to take disability leave. Disability leave should not be taken into account
when performance, promotion, attendance, selection for redundancy is being assessed.

Read this it may help you

http://uk.sitestat.com/diabetes/web...ts/Advocacy/Employment_Advocacy_Pack_2010.pdf

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice

You have the right to time off, but not to paid time off, so if they want you to make the time up this would be to maintain your current pay. However, if you would prefer to lose the pay than make the time up then I would make them aware of this, and show them the relevant legislation if they refuse -or speak to your HR dept

witters

Time off for doctors appointments

I have only recently been diagnosed with type 2 so am still feeling my way. I had a check up earlier this week which required me to take time off work. My employer, Royal Mail, has said that I have to take unpaid leave to cover it, and should have booked an out of work time appointment. Now my local surgery only offers clinics on Tuesday afternoons so that's impossible. As I understand it the old Disability Discrimination Act would have covered me for this event. However, the new Equality Act doesn't seem to.

Can anyone please confirm where I stand please?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Time off for doctors appointments

They have to let you go to the doctor's appointment, which they did. They don't have to give you paid leave for it, they can require you to take unpaid leave.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,

I think a chat with your union rep may sort things for you.

blonagael

My understanding of the changes to the act are that its scope is broadened to include people who live or work with disabled people.

Nothing would beat proper legal advice, but I think the DDA still applies.

:)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

From 1 October 2010, the Equality Act replaced most of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). However, the Disability Equality Duty in the DDA continues to apply.
The Equality Act brings together nine separate pieces of legislation into one single Act simplifying the law and strengthening it in important ways to help tackle discrimination and inequality.

A link to some guidance notes.

http://www.equalities.gov.uk/equality_a ... o_i_n.aspx

sugar2

I make up appointment time by working a bit later....but I have bever been "told" to do this. I do it through a sense of duty I guess, and becasue my employer is gereat, and very understanding etc.

I don't think it is out of order...but I wouldn't like being told to do it! If they are easy going, perhaps, if possible, doing some work at home one evening might be an option etc.

Scottie0013

Thank you to one and all for all your replies and additional info given to me today by my manager she stated that it was my choice to go to London for treatment plus my workload is due to increase and and yes they have been paying me and never any mention of having to pay back hours till this week, nothing has been said to anyone else who is attending medical/hospital/osteopath etc appointments, I normally arrange my GP/osteopath/ etc appointments out of work time unless there is no other option

Dippy3103

I work flexi time and am expected to where possible make appointments out if work time, if I can't then use flexi time to " pay" for it. As a t2 diet only my appointments are minimal, it's only my six monthly reviews and retinopathy tests that fall in work time.
I had my six monthly review yesterday, and work allowed me to bring some work home to make up the time last night.