Hospital trip..

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing useful to say here just a moan

Ended up in hospital last night due to bloods being what we believe at over 35 for over 4 hours.

The joys of people not realizing giving people normal coke when they ask for diet could be very dangerous.
Woke up feeling like id been hit by a number of double decker buses and with some pretty impressive bruises on my arms from blood tests. yay diabetic life.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @keishamarie Sorry to hear that hun, big hug, hope you are on the mend now ? Was it coke on draught ? as this is the normal culprit for diet coke, bottles are best or water, but i'm sure you know this, the important thing is that you are ok x

hollyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hope ur ok hospital is **** I had pneumonia the last two weeks and had to go in for fluids as I was being sick! It took them mybe 4 hours until they eventually tested my blood sugars then once I was put into a slip and slide machine to help me the doctor said I could go home as long as I ate my lunch!!! I had been being sick for the last week how on earth do they expect u to eat a roast dinner and keep it down when u haven't eaten for a week!!! Generally shocked with the hospital service and will do anything not to have to go back!!!!!

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not tried it (mainly because there's no Coke in the house), but I've read a few times that if you test your drink 'full fat' Coke will give a high sugar reading on a meter.

Hope you're feeling better.

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a diabetic patient we must know that all canned drink are full of sugar. Avoid it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hope you are feeling back to "normal". I've had the not-diet-coke thing happen too. People don't listen and don't understand. X

Last edited by a moderator:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@khkwong
that comment was just not helpful (and factually incorrect!)
the OP was telling of the result of being given Full Sugar drinks instead of diet1

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As a diabetic patient we must know that all canned drink are full of sugar. Avoid it.
Not correct diet drinks are sugar free.
It sounds as if @keishamarie, was given full fat coke from a dispenser by ignorant staff in a pub or club.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you're feeling better. What a horrible experience.

Erm, no they're not. Diet and "zero" canned drinks have no sugar whatsoever. Furthermore, as T1, if you know you're going to have a sugary drink you can go ahead and have one so long as you bolus correctly.

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for the messages. Starting to feel better I feel like I've been run over by a bus though! It's completely taken it out of me. & Khkwong - you're very wrong so if you comment on things make sure you know your facts. Until then bore off :)