hospital

Abi

Thanks. don't know if I'm more worried about the procedure or the diabetes! Am definately going to ask for sedation rather than just local anaesthetic!
Here's hoping that I am out within an hour or two and failing that staff are receptive to what I want. Of course so many people aren't controlling their D properly even when at home and are quite happy to hand over this lack of control. I see records of Blood glucose and doses when in hospital and patients don't seem to get corrective doses when very high- they just seem to be stuck on the same dose- I am not convinced that the kitchen are carefully sending up meals with the same carbohydrate content from one day to the next either !!. I've also seen that when sliding scales are used actrapid is given and e.g 8 units is given for a level of 15 mmol/L- this may be ok if the patient is keto acidotic and more insulin resistant but for many insulin sensitive type ones- myself included 1 unit lowers by 2 to 3 mmol/L so this dose could be dangerous (infection and stress of course may mean less insulin sensitivity but how can one sliding scale work for every patient?)