Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I kept feeling dizzy at home/work for about 3 weeks this was coupled with my meter just reading high 20's low 30's or right off the scale and just recoding Hi, I was so thirsty I could have drunk Windermere dry

I went to A&E had my bloods done and resulted in immediate admission as my BM was 59.4 with Hba1c of 95, low sodium levels and low BP

It took me 5 days of treatment to get back on track, this was my second hospital admission within 12 months for hyperglycaemia

I inject large amounts Humulin I & Novorapid and take 6 metformin daily, I carb count, yet my weight is good 12st 3lbs and I do try hard to stick to my diet plan.

My problem lies with work, my boss is not supportive at all and has now started disciplinary action against me for having time off sick, this worries me and I feel totally stressed out about this, I have contacted Diabetes UK who are sending me an employment pack

Any advice welcome, I work for the NHS by the way

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
wow the NHS does this...unbelievable you would think they would allow for time off for sickness especially to try get your diabetes under control :(

C

catherinecherub

It makes no difference who you work for as there are so many employers who do not understand diabetes or their role as an employer.. These two links should help @Cumberland

A practical guide to employment adjustments for people with diabetes
https://www.ntu.ac.uk/equality_diversity/document_uploads/92577.pdf

Advocacy pack, Employment and diabetes. Your rights at work.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/Avocacy/Employment-advocacy-pack-2013.pdf

If you cannot get anywhere with your immediate manager then see someone above them. You could also involve your Union Rep. and HR I would imagine that your diabetes is more complicated than most as you have a pancreas divisum, reported in your previous posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I kept feeling dizzy at home/work for about 3 weeks this was coupled with my meter just reading high 20's low 30's or right off the scale and just recoding Hi, I was so thirsty I could have drunk Windermere dry

I went to A&E had my bloods done and resulted in immediate admission as my BM was 59.4 with Hba1c of 95, low sodium levels and low BP

It took me 5 days of treatment to get back on track, this was my second hospital admission within 12 months for hyperglycaemia

I inject large amounts Humulin I & Novorapid and take 6 metformin daily, I carb count, yet my weight is good 12st 3lbs and I do try hard to stick to my diet plan.

My problem lies with work, my boss is not supportive at all and has now started disciplinary action against me for having time off sick, this worries me and I feel totally stressed out about this, I have contacted Diabetes UK who are sending me an employment pack

Any advice welcome, I work for the NHS by the way

Is this a Stage One Sickness and Absence process he has instigated? Roughly, how much time have you had off in the last year, for everything, not just your diabetes?

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i used to have a boss. he was a diabetics too. one of his feet is died. but when i told him i need to seek medical assistance. he told me that he only seek medical assistance when things were really bad.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been off work 4 times since April last year all with hyperglycaemia and twice been hospitalised because of it and yes it is a first caution (AndBreathe)
Thank you for the links (Catherine)

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Cumberland,
Has anyone mentioned that you may actually have Type3c diabetes? This is often the case for people whose pancreatic function is limited, pancreas divisum in your case, or who have had pancreatitis. It often results in uncontrollable hyperglycaemia and is sometimes referred to as brittle diabetes.

I thought you might be interested in this article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3831209/

Reactions: 4 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Catherine

Thank you very much for that very interesting link

I have never heard of Type 3c diabetes so that link is a real eye opener! I am stunned!

Next time I visit my GP I shall enquire

Thank you once again

Ian

Reactions: 4 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Cumberland,
Has anyone mentioned that you may actually have Type3c diabetes? This is often the case for people whose pancreatic function is limited, pancreas divisum in your case, or who have had pancreatitis. It often results in uncontrollable hyperglycaemia and is sometimes referred to as brittle diabetes.

I thought you might be interested in this article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3831209/

I have pancreas divisum and also had a bout of pancreatitis many years ago and that is when they discovered my diabetes

I have an appointment on 14th August with my GP who is actually the diabetic lead for Cumbria I will mention Type 3c as until you replied on this thread I had never even heard of it, so many thanks for mentioning it

Diabetes runs in my family as my Grandfather (paternal side) died aged 33 of diabetes and that was 30 years before I was born so I never knew him, but looking at the few old photographs I have of him I could be his double.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm no doctor or qualified health practitioner....

From my own experience, after my MI I was placed on the standard set of drugs. Ramipril, is for high blood pressure, I never had high BP this drug would make me collapse on the floor with low blood pressure. I see your list of medication includes Ramipril and you have low BP? you may want to query this with your consultant.

Truly sorry to hear about the stress that is being inflicted on you. Good luck.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm no doctor or qualified health practitioner....

From my own experience, after my MI I was placed on the standard set of drugs. Ramipril, is for high blood pressure, I never had high BP this drug would make me collapse on the floor with low blood pressure. I see your list of medication includes Ramipril and you have low BP? you may want to query this with your consultant.

Truly sorry to hear about the stress that is being inflicted on you. Good luck.

Hi Photognut, thanks for your post
Yes Ramipril is for high BP but my GP prescribed it for CKD, he said that my kidneys were leaking too much protein and that Ramipril would help with that.
I could do with a full body transplant LOL