Hot climate and water

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am going on a watersports holiday soon. From previous experience I know that I will be in the open air all day in temps of up to 40 degrees, in and out of the sea very frequently.
I am considering having a pump holiday for two weeks and using my novopen...Don't know what to do really??

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
what pump do you have?

Some pumps are waterproof, and you can buy cooling pouches for pumps, Frio make them, i have one for my insulin pens... but i expect i'll buy another one for the pump when i need it.
I used my Frio pouch to keep my pens cool when we went to Egypt and the temps there in July were 40C+!

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I'm fairly sure the Medtronic is only splash-proof and wouldn't like being submerged. But with an appropriate pouch you'd be fine, and for the infusion site get hold of some IV3000 occlusive dressings from Medtronic themselves. They come in boxes of 100 and are reasonably cheap too. Has to be better than transitioning to MDI for 2 weeks then back again?

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and thanks for replies.

I really don't know where I am going to put the pump when I am just wearing swimwear/shorts which we tend to wear all day on holiday.
I am quite a small, slim person and and sometimes find the pump a bit bulky under clothes. Its ok in the winter when wearing lots of clothes but since weather warmed up not so easy to know what to do with it.
I don't like it clipped on my belt because I keep bashing it on things, and it gets in my way in the car. So I usually clip it in centre of my bra but that looks a bit strange under a T shirt!!!

So am going to take novopen and cartridges with me just in case, then at least I have the option. But would rather not need to use them.
Thanks again

bonerp

Last time I did such a holiday I took the pump off and had a pump holiday.

Worked out I had the best BGs in ages !!

Alternatively I took off pump in the morning and put it back on at night, so had 12 hr pump breaks. Also worked well but obviously you need to use more sets. I found they come off after prolonged submission in water anyway, and how easy are they to catch?!

Also water sports could result in a pump breakage and you wouldn;t want that abroad!

Paul

shews

I went on a 2 days wakebording trip recently and found my pump extremely annoying. I went in and out of the water only 3 times each day but found I'd take it off to put my wetsuit on then be without it for 1 hour and have to reconnect asap. this became really tedious and didn't have somewhere secure to put it.

I would recommend a pump holiday. Although test as much a possible during the first day on and off of the pump.

It was quite liberating to go without my pump for 2 weeks last year and i felt free. Then when I reconnected I realised how much better it was and felt more more appreciative of having one!

Sal