1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hot flushes after eating?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by plonkish_, Mar 28, 2015.

1. plonkish_

plonkish_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I looked to see if this was discussed before on this forum rather than starting a new thread, but seemed to get linked to threads about other illnesses. I think this is connected to diabetes though.

Sometimes after eating I get really hot. So hot it's like a fever and you can feel the heat radiating out of the top of my head! I get all red and my neck feels hot too. It happens quite soon after a meal and can last an hour or so. It doesn't always happen either.

Googling has landed me with some quite alarming diagnoses that have nothing to do with food but I'm certain it's related to meals because of the timing.

Obvious next step is to ask the doctor, but wondered if it is something other people have experienced.

I'm type 2 newly diagnosed on LCHF for about a month.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 4
  3. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

I'd try eating more fat, it sounds like you need more energy, cold, tired, the flush of glycogenesis after eating.
    and I'd have a teaspoon of salt a day for a while

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. plonkish_

Thankyou both!

Hello Catherine, that certainly sounds like it! I don't like the suggestion that it could be linked to kidney problems but it did mention cheese and vinegar as triggers (and I had both before the last episode).

Jack, I've looked that up too and it's certainly a possibility.

I'm very new to diabetes and trying to avoid going on medication but so much is trial and error at this stage! I'm keeping a diary of BG levels and food I eat. I think I'll add hot flushes to this and see if I notice a pattern!

• Like Like x 3
  5. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

if you are sweating after eating, it doesn't sound dietary and I would see a DR.
    my experience with LCHF diet when I started is you get a warm feeling over your body till you are fat adapted
    being recent they would have your blood test to see if they did the normal liver, kidney tests

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. plonkish_

They have so far only taken my blood for BG tests. In fact I've yet to see a doctor. I was diagnosed and notified by a combination of the surgery receptionist and a nurse. I'm due back for the three month tests, and I'll go armed with questions!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

This happens to me any time I eat cheese, it's like instant heat and sweatiness around my forehead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

This is because cheese has something in it that acts a bit like adrenaline, and the key one is called tyromine. when you eat a bit of cheese, it stimulates the part of the nervous system that adrenaline would usually stimulate, and thus causes sweating.

• Like Like x 4
  9. plonkish_

Thank you Gemma. I had baked camembert (a whole one) with salad then not long after my head felt like a volcano! So it could be. This is recent though, I didn't have this problem before. I love cheese so rather hoping this isn't it :D

10. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

I never had this before either, I've had diabetes for 14 years but only really had this issue in the last 12 months. Whenever I've researched sweating after eating it always seems to lead to a link with diabetes. I just still don't completely understand why!!

11. plonkish_

I don't either! But I will ask my doctor soon.

I had a small amount of cheese at lunchtime and ended up with a hot flush about half an hour later. But, I'm certain there was also vinegar in the salad so not very scientific!

I may experiment with some cheddar in a moment...watch this space :D

12. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

I was eating a piece of cheese as I read your post, and sweating :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. plonkish_

Were you lol i love cheese.

It didn't seem to be the cheese this time Gemma. At least not cathedral city cheddar

14. gemma6549

gemma6549 · Guest

Well I would stick to cathedral city if it doesn't have the same effect. I think cheese is still problematic but there has to be some that are ok. If you've found one that's good :)

15. plonkish_

16. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Friend of mine (male) gets hot flushes and bright red rashes after peppers, chillies or fish.

17. Foxystarshine

Foxystarshine Type 2 · Newbie

Omg. My head sweats if I eat anything with vinegar in it. Just thinking about vinegar starts it off too. I've had it for years now. My neck sweats and so does my forehead

18. km4487

km4487 Type 1 · Newbie

I get this, and always have, after chocolate. Thought i was the only one! It's so odd.

19. onnecar

onnecar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

20. onnecar

onnecar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've had diabetic type 2 for quite a few years now and often get this problem after eating. My neighbour is diabetic and has the same problem. I think it's something you may have to just live with. I love cheese too and eat a lot of it. I think it is to do with the insulin resistance as it's worse after large meals. It often makes me feel tired for a while too. My diabetes is well controlled by the way.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook